Wildlife officials operate on 11ft King cobra in BhopalFebruary 23rd, 2010 - 10:13 pm ICT by ANI
By Ram Chand Sahu
Bhopal, Feb.23 (ANI): In a unique attempt, wildlife officials in Madhya Pradesh operated on a King Cobra, seized from a snake charmer, to resurrect its damaged fangs.
Officials of the Van Vihar national park in Bhopal operated on the 11-feet long cobra after they found that the reptile was not able to eat due to an infection in its mouth.
“It is the first time that we are operating on a King cobra and we never had a cobra. The treatment was essential as the veins connecting the poison glands were damaged. The snake has not eaten anything for many days,” said A.K. Khare, Deputy Director, Van Vihar national park on Monday.
The cobra was administered anti-biotic medicines and was doing fine after the operation, officials said.
King cobra can be identified from other cobras by its size and the pattern on its neck. Its diet consists primarily of other snakes. The venom of the King Cobra is primarily neuro-toxic, and the snake is capable of killing a human with a single bite. (ANI)
- PETA to snake charmers: Use fake snakes on Nag Panchami - Jul 20, 2012
- Save snakes from atrocities on Nag Panchami: PETA - Aug 02, 2011
- PETA re-launches campaign against snake shows - Apr 21, 2011
- Egyptian cobra escapes from Bronx zoo - Mar 29, 2011
- Another lion dies in Bhopal's national park - May 30, 2011
- Worshippers cry foul as Madhya Pradesh 'de-fangs' Nagpanchmi - Jul 26, 2009
- Snake charmer held for selling endangered cobras - Jul 18, 2010
- Venomous snakes spit defensively - May 14, 2010
- Some cobras don't bite, they spit venom in defence - May 14, 2010
- 200mn-yr-old fossils reveal how snakes' syringe-like venom fangs evolved - Nov 19, 2010
- Python in car stuns British holidaying couple - Sep 07, 2012
- Python caught near Madhya Pradesh chief minister's house - Aug 08, 2011
- Snake-charmers protest with snakes outside Dikshit residence - Apr 25, 2011
- UAE breeds world's first Arabian cobra in captivity - Aug 07, 2011
- Man bitten by pet snake, dies - Aug 06, 2010