Varanasi witnesses high demand for flowers on the occasion of DiwaliOctober 15th, 2009 - 8:57 pm ICT by ANI
By Girish Kumar Dubey
Varanasi, Oct.15 (AN): Ahead of Diwali, the festival of lights, flowers are in high demand in the holy city Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
The wholesale flower market of Varanasi is popular in north India. Every year in comparison to other Hindu festivals, sale of flowers is very high particularly during the festival of Diwali and Dhanteras, when people decorate their houses and also buy utensils or jewellery.
“Diwali and Dhanteras festivals are considered major festive occasions. And, during these two festivals, sale of flowers is high. Unlike other festivals, Diwali is celebrated by masses,” said Pawan Kumar, a flower seller.
Flowers like rose and marigold are particularly in high demand, as people wish to ensure that they welcome the Goddess Laxmi, worshipped on the occasion of Diwali, in floral decorated homes.
Lord Ganesha, who is revered as the symbol of good omen and wisdom, is also worshipped on this occasion along with Goddess Lakshmi during evening.
A large number of people are converging in markets and buying marigold garlands for decorative and worship purposes.
“Offering prayers without flowers is useless. Moreover, Diwali and Dhanteras are incomplete without floral garlands. Flowers are a vital part of prayers,” said Ritesh Kumar Jaiswal, a buyer. (ANI)
- Festive spirit grips Delhi on Diwali (Lead) - Oct 26, 2011
- Batashas witness high demand on Diwali in Varanasi - Oct 17, 2009
- Crowded markets, traffic jams on Dhanteras - Oct 24, 2011
- India celebrates Diwali with diyas, sweets and pujas (Round up) - Nov 05, 2010
- Durga Puja celebrated with great fervour in West Bengal - Oct 16, 2010
- Garlands of harmony from Ayodhya's Muslim flower artisans - Sep 23, 2010
- Delhi celebrates Diwali with zeal - Nov 05, 2010
- India celebrates Diwali with prayers, lights, crackers (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2011
- Maharashtra celebrates Gudi Padwa - Mar 23, 2012
- Delhiites throng markets on Dhanteras - Nov 03, 2010
- South India heralds New Year, north ushers Navratri (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
- Deepawali: The Festival Of Lights - Oct 17, 2009
- Chandni Chowk still the Diwali shopper's paradise - Oct 14, 2009
- Hindu community in Pakistan celebrates Diwali - Nov 06, 2010
- Where AK 47s, INSAS rifles are worshipped on Durga Puja - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,