U.S.envoy-designate Roemer arrives in DelhiJuly 17th, 2009 - 12:20 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 17 (ANI): Timothy J. Roemer, U.S. Ambassador-Designate, arrived here last night following his confirmation by the full Senate last week.
Testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on July 7, Ambassador-Designate Roemer said, “Our relationship with India is a good news story. And while our relationship has gone through different stages, we are certainly moving ahead on an upward trajectory. This is not a zero sum game with winners and losers but a positive sum game-with India as a strong, stable global democracy increasing peace and prosperity for all.”
Prior to President Barack Obama’s nominating him as Ambassador to India in May, Roemer was President of the Center for National Policy (CNP), a moderate think-tank in Washington, D.C. He represented the 3rd District of Indiana for six terms as a U.S. Congressman, from 1991 to 2003.
Roemer served as a member of the 9/11 Commission, as well as the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction, Proliferation and Terrorism. He also served on the Washington Institute for Near East Policy’s Presidential Task Force onCombating the Ideology of Radical Extremism, and the National Parks Second Century Commission.
As a Distinguished Scholar at the Mercatus Center at George Mason University, Ambassador-Designate Roemer worked with Members of Congress and staff to improve public policy outcomes by teaching on the legislative branch and policy analysis.
Ambassador-Designate Roemer holds a B.A. from the University of California, San Diego and a M.A. and PhD. from the University of Notre Dame. (ANI)
- US envoy designate Roemer meets Foreign Secretary Menon - Jul 17, 2009
- Timothy Roemer will be new US envoy to India (Lead) - May 28, 2009
- US envoy Roemer key to managing U.S.-India relationship - Nov 24, 2009
- Tim Roemer US ambassador to India, says report - Apr 17, 2009
- US envoy meets Menon, discusses Clinton visit - Jul 17, 2009
- US Senate panel approves Roemer as new envoy to India - Jul 09, 2009
- Burleigh interim US ambassador to India - Jun 30, 2011
- US for growing trade with India in food products - Mar 13, 2012
- Ahead of Clinton visit, new US envoy lands in Delhi Thursday - Jul 16, 2009
- Obama names Indian-American to communications body - Nov 01, 2011
- Germany, India steadfast partners: Ambassador-designate - May 15, 2012
- US to renew demand for direct access to AQ Khan - Sep 26, 2010
- New envoy sets n-deal, breaking Doha impasse on top of agenda - Jul 08, 2009
- US ambassador-designate Nancy Powell arrives in India - Apr 20, 2012
- Obama's envoy to India gets Senate nod - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: barack obama, california san diego, center for national policy, different stages, foreign relations committee, george mason university, global democracy, members of congress, mercatus center, policy outcomes, roemer, senate foreign relations, senate foreign relations committee, university of california san diego, university of notre dame, upward trajectory, washington institute for near east policy, weapons of mass destruction, winners and losers, zero sum game