US Senate grants 900-million-dollar aid to PakistanMay 15th, 2009 - 4:41 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 15 (ANI): The US Senate Appropriations Committee has approved about 900 million dollars in economic and security aid for Pakistan which is battling Taliban, spilling over its border with Afghanistan.
The Senate allocated 91.3 billion dollars measure to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan through September 30, the Dawn reports.
The House bill has about 1 billion dollars for Pakistan, which includes 3.1 billion dollars for buying eight Boeing Co C-17s and 11 Lockheed Martin C-130 transport planes.
The Senate bill does not have any provision for the planes.
Next week, the full Senate is expected to take up its version and any differences with the House will be sorted out.
A single version will be passed by both chambers before the legislation can be sent to Obama for his signature.
The senate panel didn’t include 80 million dollars, which were requested by President Barack Obama for shuttering the US detention prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where terrorism suspects are being held.
However, the measure walls off 50 million dollars from the administration until a plan is submitted on how it plans to deal with the prisoners, according to the committee.
The US House of Representatives, however, rejected Obama’s plea and offers no money. (ANI)
- US House allows transfer of Guantanamo prisoners for trials - Oct 16, 2009
- US House passes Pentagon budget - Jul 20, 2012
- Obama waives ban on C-130 cargo aircraft sales to China - Oct 14, 2010
- Boeing India chief downplays rejection, hopeful of better deals in future - Apr 29, 2011
- US Congress approves spending measure for Afghanistan - Jul 28, 2010
- US Congress sends visa fee hike bill to Obama amid Indian protests (Lead) - Aug 13, 2010
- US House of Representatives approves 1.5 billion dollar aid for Pakistan - Jul 10, 2009
- India clears biggest deal with US for C-17s at $4.1 bn (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Osama and Zawahiri to be kept at Guantanamo if captured: CIA - Feb 17, 2011
- US Senate blocks funding to close Guantanamo prison - May 21, 2009
- US to freeze $700 mn aid to Pakistan - Dec 13, 2011
- Milestones in the life and presidency of Obama - Nov 04, 2010
- Boeing says it has hands full with Indian defence deals - Apr 21, 2011
- Cuban-American lawmakers criticise Obama's US-Cuba travel restriction plans - Jan 16, 2011
- US, Indian defence militaries getting closer: Roemer - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: 1 billion dollars, 17s, 50 million, barack obama, boeing co, c 130, guantanamo bay cuba, house of representatives, lockheed martin, lockheed martin c, million dollars, plea, prisoners, senate appropriations committee, senate bill, senate panel, single version, transport planes, us house of representatives, us senate appropriations committee