Tourism festival organised in ManipurApril 22nd, 2009 - 6:17 pm ICT by ANI
By L.C.K. Singh
Imphal, Apr 22 (ANI): The ten-day long Manipur Tourism Festival 2009, organised by the state’s tourism department, witnessed a significant participation of visitors from across the country and abroad.
The festival, which concluded on Tuesday, was aimed at highlighting the art and culture of northeast Manipur state.
Visitors from Thailand, Pakistan, Vietnam and Myanmar expressed great enthusiasm and contributed actively to the festival.
Jim Csuthathip Thavesuk, a stall owner from Thailand hoped that she would get a good response in this festival.
“Last time we took part in an exhibition in Guwahati and many people showed interest in our products because our products are available only at one place. I hope that in this exhibition many people will be interested in our products,” said Thavesuk.
Local visitors like Linda claimed that this festival was better organised than the last festival.
“From the last time its better and well organised. There are stalls from other countries. This way, they are going to learn from us and we are going to learn from them,” said Linda.
The stalls displayed goods and artifacts from other states of India.
The people were impressed by the Manipuri handloom and handicrafts items and paintings on display.
Tourism Department had drawn up attractive packages for the tourists like visits to historical places, expedition to fantastic destinations such as Shiroi Hills, Kangkuli Caves in Ukrul District, Tharon Caves of Tamenglong village, adventure at Lamdan and the Leadership Park in Churachandpur.
Among other sporting events were games of traditional hockey, polo, Mukna (traditional wrestling).
TheDepartment of Tourism is hopeful of this festival yielding the desired results, which in turn would boost the economy of Manipur. (ANI)
- Manipur hosts tourism festival 2008 - Mar 19, 2008
- Manipur hosts Tourism festival 2009 - Apr 28, 2009
- Orange festival in Manipur - Dec 15, 2010
- Assam host second tea festival in Jorhat District - Nov 27, 2010
- Imphal hosts festival to promote tourism, by showcasing rich Manipuri culture - Dec 13, 2009
- Orange festival held in Tamenglong - Dec 23, 2008
- Sangai festival 2009 kicks off in Imphal - Dec 20, 2009
- Manipur hosts seventh orange festival - Dec 25, 2010
- Festival to promote orange cultivation held in Manipur - Dec 17, 2009
- State level pineapple festival held in Imphal - Jul 11, 2009
- Hoirose Silthou crowned as 'Orange Queen-2010' in Manipur's beauty contest - Dec 15, 2010
- Royal treat for mango lovers at Delhi fest - Jul 02, 2011
- Blocklade-hit Manipuris find solace in cultural fest - Nov 28, 2011
- International trade fair begins Monday - Nov 13, 2011
- Food, handicrafts galore at trade fair - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: art and culture, artifacts, attractive packages, caves, desired results, exhibition, guwahati, handicrafts, handloom, imphal, last time, manipur state, manipur tourism, myanmar, paintings, sporting events, stall owner, state visitors, states of india, tourism department