‘Thakurani Jatra’ festival being celebrated in OrissaMay 3rd, 2009 - 9:00 pm ICT by ANI
Bijipur (Orissa), May. 3 (ANI): Devotees in Bijipur District of Orissa tonsure their heads to please goddess as part of carnival procession of ‘Thakurani Jatra’ festival.
The ritual gains even more significance as not just a way to honor the goddess, but also a protest against the dubious religious leaders and other issues concerning the villagers.
“I have been doing this for the past four to five years. I also wore a garland made of vegetables. It was a way of protest against inflation and rising prices of vegetables,” said Sibsankar Patra, a devotee.
The day of head tonsuring is decided and followed by all villagers.
The leader of the group, the ‘mahant’ leads the procession with a female consort. The female consort is actually a male dressed up as a girl, a comment on the dubious nature of priests and religious leaders.
“The ritual is going on since 1933. Our predecessors used to follow the ritual as well. Then only 10 to 20 people used to get their heads tonsured but now it is almost 200 to 300 people. We do it to propitiate the goddess. But now we are also raising awareness. We write songs as well on various subjects and try to gain people’s attention with our attires,” said Brindaban Parida, the Priest.
Not only are these devotees getting designs on their heads, they are also getting various themes and motifs on their backs. The people claim that they are trying to raise awareness by creating designs based on socially relevant issues. (ANI)
- Pilgrims carry Chari Mubarak to Amarnath shrine - Aug 15, 2010
- Durga Puja celebrated with great fervour in West Bengal - Oct 16, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict casts a shadow over Gaya pindadaan - Sep 23, 2010
- Apex court issues notices on Kalighat temple entry (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- People take holy dip in Kolkata and Allahabad for salvation of ancestors' souls - Sep 18, 2009
- Visitors shy away from fortress Ayodhya - Sep 22, 2010
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Devotees take holy dip in rivers across Uttar Pradesh on first day of Navratri - Oct 08, 2010
- Ahead of Shraadh, a dried Phalgu river disappoints residents in Gaya - Sep 12, 2010
- Tribals in Jharkhand celebrate Mansa festival - Aug 18, 2010
- Durga Puja reaches its peak with Mahashtami - Oct 15, 2010
- Jagannath Temple rituals hit after priest hurt in clash - Oct 05, 2010
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum - May 21, 2012
- Devotees walk on embers to appease deity in Tamil Nadu - Apr 10, 2010
Tags: attires, carnival, carnival procession, consort, devotee, devotees, dubious nature, goddess, inflation, mahant, orissa, predecessors, priests, protest, relevant issues, religious leaders, themes and motifs, vegetables