Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer aged 77 (Part-II)August 26th, 2009 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
Despite the dent in his reputation and career, Kennedy remained in American politics and went on to win seven more terms in the Senate.
Kennedy championed social causes and was the author of “In Critical Condition: The Crisis in America’s Health Care.” He served as chairman of the Judiciary and Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions committees and was the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary and Armed Services committees during periods when Republicans controlled the chamber.
Obama named Kennedy as one of 16 recipients of the 2009 Presidential Medal of Freedom, America’s highest civilian honor. A White House statement explained that the 2009 honorees “were chosen for their work as agents of change.”
Born in Boston on February 22, 1932, Edward Moore Kennedy was the last of nine children of Joseph P. Kennedy, a prominent businessman and Democrat, and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy.
Joseph Kennedy pushed his sons to strive for the presidency, a burden “Teddy” bore for much of his life as the only surviving Kennedy son.
His oldest brother, Joe Jr., died in a plane crash during World War II when Kennedy was 12. John was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, in 1963, and Robert was killed the night of the California primary in 1968.
Ted Kennedy delivered Robert’s eulogy, urging mourners to remember him as “a good and decent man who saw wrong and tried to right it; who saw suffering and tried to heal it; who saw war and tried to stop it.”
The family was plagued with other tragedies as well. One sister, Kathleen, was killed in a plane crash in 1948. Another sister, Rosemary, was born mildly retarded, but was institutionalized after a botched lobotomy in 1941. She died in 1986 after more than 50 years in mental hospitals.
Joseph Kennedy was incapacitated by a stroke in 1961 and died in November 1969, leaving the youngest son as head of the family. He was 37.
“I can’t let go,” Kennedy once told an aide. “If I let go, Ethel (Robert’s widow) will let go, and my mother will let go, and all my sisters.”
Kennedy himself survived a 1964 plane crash that killed an aide, suffering a broken back in the accident. But he recovered to lead the seemingly ill-starred clan through a series of other tragedies: Robert Kennedy’s son David died of a drug overdose in a Florida hotel in 1984; another of Robert’s sons, Michael, was killed in a skiing accident in Colorado in 1997; and John’s son John Jr., his wife Carolyn and sister-in-law Lauren Bessette died in a 1999 plane crash off Martha’s Vineyard.
In addition, his son Edward Jr. lost a leg to cancer in the 1970s, and daughter Kara survived a bout with the disease in the early 2000s.
Like brothers John and Robert, Edward Kennedy attended Harvard. He studied in the Netherlands before earning a law degree from the University of Virginia Law School, and worked in the district attorney’s office in Boston before entering politics.
Kennedy is survived by his second wife, Victoria Ann Reggie Kennedy, whom he married in 1992; his first wife, Joan Bennett; and five children — Patrick, Kara and Edward Jr. from his first marriage, and Curran and Caroline Raclin from his second. (ANI)
- Edward Kennedy, liberal lion, scion of American royalty (Obituary) - Aug 26, 2009
- "Kennedy Curse" Strikes Again - Aug 26, 2009
- Kennedy curse: A continual misfortune? - Aug 26, 2009
- Only 2 Kennedy siblings left on earth - Aug 12, 2009
- Katie recreates heartbreaking moments as Jackie Kennedy - Aug 18, 2010
- Swift admires the Kennedy family - Sep 02, 2012
- JFK Jr smoked dope, liked tantric sex, reveals ex - Mar 04, 2011
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Divorces Wife Of 16 Years - Jul 17, 2010
- Ted to be inhumed next to brothers - Aug 27, 2009
- Robert Kennedy Jr. 'files for divorce from wife of 16 years' - Jul 14, 2010
- Edward Kennedy: A Life In Public Glare - Aug 26, 2009
- NASCAR owner Rick Hendrick survives a plane crash - Nov 01, 2011
- Conor meets Taylor Swift's parents - Aug 11, 2012
- FBI files show that Ted Kennedy received threats - Jun 15, 2010
- FBI Files Divulge Death Threats On Ted Kennedy - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: brain cancer, brother joe, california primary, decent man, edward moore kennedy, freedom america, head of the family, joe jr, joseph kennedy, joseph p kennedy, lobotomy, medal of freedom, mental hospitals, plane crash, presidential medal of freedom, rose fitzgerald kennedy, sister kathleen, sister rosemary, ted kennedy, world war ii