Siliguri sex workers organize fashion showOctober 26th, 2010 - 7:09 pm ICT by ANI
By Tarak Sarkar
Siliguri, Oct.26 (ANI): Sex workers organized a fashion show in West Bengal’s Siliguri District.
Over 16 sex workers contested in the show under various categories such as Miss Beautiful Skin, Miss Beautiful Eyes, Miss Beautiful Hair and Miss Perfect Body.
The participants were dressed in vibrant, trendy and colorful Indian as well as western attire and walked the ramp.
The organizer said the motive behind the show was to spread awareness about the social conditions of sex workers.
“The festival of Diwali is approaching, so we are trying to light up ‘diyas’ through this fashion show. And we also want that these sex workers should get equal respect and rights as the normal people get in society. This is the main motive of this fashion show,” said Uttam Mondal, the organizer.
The sex workers who participated in the fashion show expressed their happiness after receiving such an opportunity.
“I am very happy today that I got an opportunity to participate in such a programme. We do not get such opportunities, so it feels great that I am a part of it. I also want to be famous and want everyone to respect me when I go out of my house,” said Deepa Saha, one of the participants and a sex worker.
“Everyone says that I am good looking. Earlier I was not so well dressed but today I got the opportunity to wear good dresses so I am very happy,” she added. (ANI)
- Nepali hairstylist organises fashion show in Siliguri - Dec 19, 2010
- Transgenders participate in Siliguri fashion show - Aug 23, 2010
- Siliguri's budding designers showcase ethnic Indian outfits in fashion show - Nov 15, 2010
- Rohit Bal wants to dress up Riya Sen - Aug 20, 2012
- Designer gives sari the Dutch touch (With Image) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sex workers strive to fight exclusion, discrimination - Jul 27, 2012
- (after 1)International titles evade Indian girls -- wonder why? - Sep 14, 2011
- Standing ovation for Kallol, Pankaj and Nidhi at LFW finale - Aug 08, 2012
- Models gather in Kochi for Miss Queen of India pageant - Mar 07, 2011
- Shailesh Lodha now wants to shed tears on small screen (With Images) - Mar 02, 2012
- I'm happy with my large frame: Anne Hathaway - Jan 24, 2010
- Siliguri sex workers demand equal status ahead of polls - Mar 24, 2011
- Felix Bendish to showcase at Hong Kong Fashion Week - Dec 09, 2011
- Jessie J wants own perfume - May 21, 2012
- TV is stepping stone to films, says actor Gautam Gulati (With Images) - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: ani sex, beautiful eyes, beautiful skin, diwali, diyas, dresses, fashion show, happiness, motive, participants, perfect body, ramp, saha, sarkar, sex worker, sex workers, west bengal, western attire