Sikkim to become a model banking state in NortheastFebruary 8th, 2010 - 9:58 pm ICT by ANI
By Tashi Pradhan
Gangtok, Feb 8 (ANI): Sikkim is all set to become a model banking state in the Northeastern region of the country.
With the aim of making access to banks easier for the people, the 27th office of the Reserve Bank of India (RIB) was inaugurated at Gangtok.
The Gangtok RBI office will have a rural planning and credit department including a ‘financial inclusion cell’, which will coordinate with the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NARBARD) and commercial banks.
Under the financial inclusion schemes, bank accounts will be provided to people who have applied for assistance from various RBI schemes and better banking facilities will be given to its customers.
The sub-office of RBI is also aiming to create awareness about financial literacy amongst the people of the state.
“There are many functions like currencies function, issues function and others. So, it becomes difficult to manage from office far away from this place. Those things can be attended. Our people will be able to monitor things more closely. And if we succeed, we can implement it to other states of Northeast,” said K.C. Chakrabarty, RBI Deputy Governor.
In October 2009 the RBI held a central board meeting in Sikkim, headed by bank Governor Dr D Subbarao and the decision was taken to set up a sub-office in the region.
There are other initiatives taken by various Indian banks to provide their services to people of Northeast as well.
In September, 2009 Reserve Bank of India organized an outreach camp to raise awareness about banking and central banking services in Pitra Village of Tripura, along with the setting up of a Committee on Financial Sector Development.
In Assam, the United Bank of India (UBI) also drew up a plan for economic upliftment of the seven north-eastern states called ‘Vision 2020 for northeast’ that focuses on people in the rural areas. (ANI)
- RBI to open more offices in northeast - May 05, 2011
- RBI to launch schemes for raising credit flow to northeast - May 20, 2011
- Banking services to all Indians by next year: RBI - Mar 26, 2011
- RBI asks northeast to crack whip on chit funds - May 26, 2011
- Financial inclusion to get more focus: RBI governor - May 18, 2011
- RBI to set up more offices in northeast - Nov 06, 2010
- 72,000 more villages to get banking services by 2012 - Feb 06, 2011
- Banking transforms lives in rural areas in northeast - Sep 16, 2009
- No RBI approval needed for bank branches in northeast: minister - Dec 30, 2010
- RBI wants banks to serve villages, says official - Sep 28, 2010
- RBI cautions investors against illegal finance companies - Jan 07, 2012
- RBI asks people not to invest in illegal finance companies - Aug 31, 2012
- RBI governor tells banks to speed up reach to people - Dec 06, 2010
- Inclusive Development Strategy Focusing on Income and Non-Income Dimensions Required: FM - Feb 25, 2011
- WIPRO computerises five cooperative banks - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: bank of india, central banking, chakrabarty, commercial banks, deputy governor, eastern states, economic upliftment, financial literacy, financial sector development, gangtok, indian banks, northeastern region, reserve bank of india, rural planning, subbarao, tashi, tripura, united bank, united bank of india, vision 2020