Sikh Jatha returns from Pakistan after observing 403rd Martyrs DayJune 17th, 2009 - 8:42 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Attari (Punjab), June 17 (ANI): After observing 403rd Martyrs Day of Guru Arjan Dev, the 5th master of the Sikhs, the Sikh Jatha (group) of nearly 200 devotees returned at Attari railway station from Pakistan on Wednesday through a special train.
The group, during its 10 days stay in Pakistan, visited Nankana sahib, Sacha Sauda, Rohri sahib, Punja Sahib and Gurdara Dera sahib in Lahore.
A few members of the group had an opportunity to visit Gurdara Kartarpur sahib situated in Narowal district of Pakistan Punjab.
The main function was held at Gurdwara Dera Sahib where nearly 5000 devotees from all over the world assembled to observe the Martyrdom Day of their 5th master.
Devotees returning from Pakistan opined that the Government of Pakistan should give country-wide visa so that they could have visited other Gurdwaras in Pakistan.
There are more nearly 172 historical Sikh shrines in Pakistan but Pakistan grants specific visa to visit only 5 of them.
The devotees demanded that the Heads of the Governments of India and Pakistan should take these issues on their top agendas and facilitate the pilgrimages.
Every year thousands of devotees from India visit Pakistan to pay obeisance to their holy shrines.
Sikhs considered Nankana Sahib, the birthplace of Guru Nanak Dev the first Sikh master, as their Mecca.
The devotees have been demanding a corridor to visit Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib, which is situate in Pakistan nearly 2.5 kilometres from Dera Baba Nanak, which is on the Indian side. (ANI)
- Sikh pilgrims in Lahore for Guru Nanak's death annivesary - Sep 22, 2009
- Abolish visas, demand Sikh pilgrims to Pakistan - Sep 22, 2009
- Sikh pilgrims leave for Pakistan to attend Guru Nanak's death anniversary - Sep 21, 2009
- Allow us without visas, Sikh pilgrims tell Pakistan (Second Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- Prayers, devotion mark Gurpurab in Punjab, Haryana - Nov 10, 2011
- 3,000 Indian Sikhs to visit Pakistan - Apr 11, 2011
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012
- 350 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Ranjit Singh anniversary - Jun 22, 2012
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- Indian Sikh delegation in Pakistan calls for Kartarpur Sahib Corridor - Jun 08, 2010
- Sikhs urge corridor to Pakistan border shrine - Jul 03, 2010
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: attari, baba nanak, dera sahib, devotees, government of pakistan, gurdwaras, guru arjan dev, guru nanak dev, holy shrines, india and pakistan, india visit, martyrdom, martyrs day, obeisance, pilgrimages, punjab, railway station, ravinder singh, sikh shrines, sikhs