Shillong hosts first woman film festival of northeastMarch 30th, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by ANI
By Apem Kamdong
Shillong (Meghalaya), Mar 30 (ANI): In an aim to encourage women to engage in filmmaking and other creative activities, Meghalaya recently hosted the first ever woman film festival of the northeast.
The ‘Women Behind Camera’ festival began on March 20 and concluded on March 26.
Seventy-two films from 32 different countries, all directed by women, were screened at the festival.
“This is a stage where we can express our views. We can meet other filmmakers as well. We can get their views in filmmaking. So we are very fortunate to have this festival here now,” said Meera Lyngdoh, a participant.
Shyamali Banerjee, an organiser, said that a film festival serves a great platform for filmmakers.
“I always believe that a film festival serves a great platform for filmmakers. Film festival does have purpose. I believe in the long run. I believe that women filmmakers will get certain benefits from this film festival,” Banerjee added.
A large number of women film directors and movie buff took part in the festival. (ANI)
- Indian, world cinema set new trends at Osian's film fest (Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Experience love through EU movie fest - Mar 15, 2012
- Women dominate at bigger, better Mumbai film fest - Oct 14, 2011
- Police officer apologises to Meghalaya assembly panel chairman - Dec 20, 2011
- In Cannes with three films, Kashyap thrilled but nervous - May 18, 2012
- Sonia intervenes to resolve Meghalaya leadership crisis - May 06, 2011
- Help resolve Meghalaya-Assam border dispute: Mukul Sangma - Jul 05, 2012
- I wasn't sexually harassed: Oscar-winning filmmaker - Feb 24, 2010
- Explore Shilllong, says filmmaker Chinmoy Sarmah - Apr 22, 2012
- Rebels demand Congress legislators' meeting in Meghalaya - Apr 26, 2011
- Manhattan short film fest comes to Mumbai again - Jul 09, 2011
- Where Indian cinema meets unconventional buyers - Oct 19, 2011
- Congress distances from Meghalaya minister's remarks - Mar 09, 2010
- Carving space for real films on real people - Feb 04, 2011
- Meghalaya chief minister denies threat to government (LEAD) - Apr 15, 2011