Sex workers dance at cremation ground for ’salvation’ in VaranasiApril 3rd, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by ANI
Varanasi, Apr 2 (ANI): Sex workers from far and near converged at a cremation ground here and danced through the twilight hours of Wednesday to “attain salvation or a better re-birth”.
Wearing ‘ghungroos’ (anklets with tiny bells) on their unshod feet and with garish make-up, they danced to the tune of folk songs.
The three-day festival, which commenced on March 31, saw several hundred sex workers entering a temple and dancing through the night.
Called ‘Nagar Vadhus’ (spouses of the town), they danced to loud music and revelry on one side, while on the other side, funeral pyres were burning.
“The Nagar Vadhus have come here from far off places with the aim of pleasing the deity and attain salvation. By dancing here, they rid themselves off all their sins,” observed Nagnath, a priest.
These sex workers feel blessed to participate in this annual festival, which they say, dates back to 450 years.
“We pray that we get rid off this birth and death cycle. We also hope that if we are born again, then our next birth is better than the present one,” said Chhaya, a sex worker of Varanasi. (ANI)
- Sex workers dance at a cremation ground in a bizarre ritual of salvation - Apr 12, 2008
- On Kartik Purnima, thousands take holy dip - Nov 10, 2011
- Ahead of Shraadh, a dried Phalgu river disappoints residents in Gaya - Sep 12, 2010
- Grant us re-birth as man or woman, eunuchs pray to Ganga - Jan 30, 2010
- London shop worker claims to be Marilyn Monroe in past life - Dec 18, 2010
- Families earning a living from a cremation ground in Varanasi - Nov 14, 2009
- Godman incarnation near Bangalore supplicated by cannabis - Mar 10, 2010
- Devotees gather for 'Lath Mar' holi in Barsana - Mar 14, 2011
- Devotees take holy dip in river Ganges on "Ganga Dussehra" - Jun 02, 2009
- Large number of pilgrims take holy dip on Ganga Dusshera - Jun 21, 2010
- Indian sex workers to video connect with world AIDS meet in US - Jul 05, 2012
- Magnificent Mile Lights Festival Dazzles Chicago - Nov 22, 2010
- Sex workers fight for rights at Kolkata conclave - Jul 25, 2012
- Students come to aid of Varanasi's riverside poor (Letter from Varanasi) - Nov 21, 2010
- Muslims take part in Gokulashtami in Mumbai - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,