Severe winter forces Himachal’s tribal shepherds to migrateDecember 16th, 2010 - 10:16 pm ICT by ANI
By Hemant Chauhan
Mashobra (Himachal Pradesh), Dec.16 (ANI): With the arrival of the winter season, the tribal shepherds of the Gaddi community have begun to migrate from the hills to the plain areas in Himachal Pradesh’s Bilaspur District.
Due to snowfall in the hilly regions, sheep get little grazing area, as the grass and leaves dry up.
“It is very cold in the month of December in the hills, due to which we have to migrate to the plain area in Bilaspur. On the hills, it is very cold and we have to be out with the sheep herds round the year,” said Kehar Singh Negi, a young tribal shepherd.
“Due to snowfall on the top, grass and leaves dry up so we move to the plains as there is greenery,” he added.
Tribal shepherds spend half the year in the plains in winters, and other half in the hills during summers.
Dayal Singh, a Gaddi shepherd, said that environment has changed a lot, with far less rainfall.
“There are no rains, due to which we do not get enough leaves to feed the herd. So, we have lot of problems,” said Singh. (ANI)
- Fires ravage 20,000 hectares of Himachal forests in two months (With Images) - Jun 28, 2012
- Himachal shepherds begin annual winter migration - Sep 21, 2009
- Snowless but bone-chilling Christmas in north India (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Snowless Himachal not so inviting this New Year's eve? - Dec 30, 2011
- Stuck since December, they await Himalayan road's reopening - May 24, 2011
- Dry weather affects apple farming in Kullu - Dec 26, 2010
- Snow in Manali hills, tourists happy on 11.11.11 - Nov 11, 2011
- Himachal tribals tone down festival after Leh disaster - Aug 15, 2010
- Stop slaughtering animals, appeals Himachal monastery - Nov 24, 2010
- Manali wrapped up in white blanket - Dec 10, 2011
- 12 die in UP, Bhopal sees frost as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Snow, rain wreak havoc in the hills; plains sunny (Intro Roundup) - Jan 15, 2011
- Snow, rain wreak havoc in the hills; plains sunny (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2011
- Bright sunny day in Himachal - Jan 01, 2011
- Srinagar gets season's first snowfall (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010