S. Korea hold second round of volcano activity talks with N. KoreaApril 12th, 2011 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
Seoul, Apr 12 (ANI): South Korea and North Korea have had a second round of talks over joint research into volcanic activities at the highest mountain on the peninsula.
Experts from both sides met in the Kaesong region of North Korea to further discuss the outcome of volcanic eruptions from Mount Paekdu, the 2,750-meter mountain, considered sacred by both Koreas.
The talks were proposed by Pyongyang in the wake of the devastating earthquake and tsunami that ravaged Japan, the China Daily reports.
Many observers believe this move could serve as an icebreaker in frozen ties between the two nations.
On March 29, representatives of the two countries agreed on the need for joint research on volcanic eruption threats.
The mountain, located on the North Korea-China border, last erupted in 1903.
Experts have warned it might have an active core and a potential eruption could create a greater chaos than the Icelandic volcanic eruption of last year. (ANI)
- South Korea ready for talks with North Korea - Feb 21, 2011
- Clinton urges global response to Pyongyang 'provocation' (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- China calls for emergency talks over North Korea - Nov 28, 2010
- S. Korea drops demand for N. Korea apology - Jan 29, 2011
- US confronts China over North Korean rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2012
- China welcomes proposed 'inter-Korean military talks' - Jan 22, 2011
- S. Korea ready for talks with North provided not provoked - Jan 03, 2011
- China urges dialogue after North Korean satellite launch - Apr 17, 2012
- N. Korea accuses US of goading S. Korea into provocation - Dec 19, 2010
- North Korea agrees with China on return to talks - Aug 20, 2010
- Third US aircraft carrier during naval drill to up Korean Peninsula crisis: Analyst - Dec 27, 2010
- N.Korea wants to end its hostility with South Korea - Jan 01, 2011
- China, N. Korea vow to maintain strong bilateral ties amid US-ROK military drill concerns - Feb 16, 2011
- Six-Party Talks will ease tensions in Korean Peninsula: Chinese FM - Dec 13, 2010
- US, S.Korea to hold second joint naval drill to deter N.Korea - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: chaos, china daily, devastating earthquake, highest mountain, japan, korea seoul, koreas, north korea, observers, peninsula, pyongyang, south korea, ties, tsunami, volcanic activities, volcanic eruption, volcanic eruptions, volcano activity