Diagnose eye cancer on photo: White flashes in child’s eye is a signAugust 28th, 2008 - 11:40 am ICT by Bupha Ravirot
Madeleine Robb spotted baby’s eye of her friend through a photo over internet, see unusual white light in the eye of the baby which diagnosed eye cancer Retinoblastoma later.
A mother from Manchester Madeleine Robb,32 save a life of a year old baby of her friend who live in Florida, Rowan Santo, 32 by spotting signs she could have the disease in a photograph.
The flash from the camera bounced off the tumour in one-year-old Rowan Santos’s eye, forming an unusual white shadow in the snap.
Santos, after getting advise from Robb, take her daughter to the doctor, where she was diagnosed eye cancer retinoblastoma.
Santos’s child has had laser treatment to reduce the large tumour and is responding well to chemotherapy. Unfortunately she has lose the eye.
Mrs Robb, who also has a one-year-old daughter, first began chatting to Rowan over the internet when they were both pregnant. Doctors say Robb’s extraordinary detective work most likely saved Rowan.
Retinoblastoma is a cancer of the retina. It is a rare type of eye cancer that mostly affects children under the age of five. In each year, only 40 new cases are seen. Two commonest signs that parents notice are a squint or the pupil looking oddly white - like a cat’s eye reflecting light. This kind of cancer initiated by mutations that inactivate both copies of the RB1 gene, which codes for the retinoblastoma protein.
- New technique lights up tumour cells during surgery - Sep 19, 2011
- Douglas can't forgive doctors - Jan 13, 2011
- Scientists identify possible new heritable marker for retinoblastoma - Jan 27, 2010
- Power of positive thinking: Girl saves mother with love letters - Nov 05, 2011
- Schoolgirl's life saved after eye test 'detects brain tumour' - Apr 03, 2010
- Lighting up your innards for incision-less surgery - Jun 27, 2012
- Bad cholesterol feeds brain tumours - Sep 16, 2011
- Cancer-hit Chavez to leave Cuba next week - Mar 09, 2012
- Baby's cancer removed while in mother's womb - Jun 23, 2012
- Woman given 6 weeks to live after 1998 cancer diagnosis still going strong - Feb 10, 2011
- Fidel Castro meets cancer-stricken Hugo Chavez - Mar 03, 2012
- 'Two more Latin American presidents will get cancer' - Jan 05, 2012
- Yuvraj has malignant tumour, being treated in the US - Feb 05, 2012
- Jellyfish glow helps spot cancerous tumours - Nov 03, 2010
- Now, remote sensing to kill prostate cancer - Oct 26, 2010