RAF holds staff course to beat fear of flyingApril 21st, 2011 - 3:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr. 21 (ANI): The British Royal Air Force (RAF) is running a course to help staff beat their fear of flying.According to The Sun, RAF chiefs acted after flying phobia prevented some servicemen and women boarding long-haul flights to Afghanistan or training zones.
Army, Navy and RAF officers are among those set to attend the course at RAF Brize Norton, near Oxford.
An Air Force insider said last night: “How utterly barmy is this? If you’re afraid of flying, why would you join the RAF?
The source added: “Even if you are not a pilot it is still nuts to join a service where you will almost certainly go up in a plane.”
The Department of Community Mental Health, covered by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) budget, finances the course.
The MoD said yesterday that even trained pilots could go on the course if they had a doctor’s note. (ANI)
- Britain to sack nearly 100 air force trainee pilots - Feb 14, 2011
- Prince William to be based at RAF Valley on Anglesey as fully operational co-pilot - Apr 15, 2010
- Air India strike enters 17th day; loses Rs.270 crore (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- AI pilots say they are ready for talks, management is not (Second Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Air India grounds bulk of Boeing 777 fleet - May 11, 2012
- Prince Harry's helicopter instructor arrested over sex pest claims - Oct 28, 2010
- Prince William gets his helicopter wings - Sep 17, 2010
- Pilots want to meet minister for dialogue (Second Lead) - May 24, 2012
- 'British Typhoons whacked India's Sukhois in joint exercises' - Jul 24, 2011
- British troops will soon be wearing Chinese socks! - Jul 01, 2010
- Nine pilots sacked, eight flights cancelled (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Air India pilots continue strike for fifth day (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Air India moves Supreme Court as pilots strike rocks parliament (Roundup) - May 10, 2012
- BAE Systems upgrades Hawk trainer to near-front line status - Apr 19, 2011
- MoD warns Brit women soldiers 'boozing will make their Bums Look Big' - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: afghanistan, army navy, budget, chiefs, community mental health, fear, flying phobia, insider, london, long haul flights, ministry of defence, oxford, pilot, raf brize norton, royal air force, staff course, sun