Puran Shah Koti, the legendry guru of many Punjabi singersMay 18th, 2009 - 7:03 pm ICT by ANI
By Sumit Khanna
Jalandhar, May 18 (ANI): Having dedicated his life to popularize Sufi music, Ustad Puran Shah Koti is today held in deep respect by some of the best known names of the Punjabi music world.
Ustad Koti holds the distinction of having trained some of the popular Punjabi singers including Han Raj Hans, Jasbir Jassi and Master Salim. “Singing is god’s gift to me. My father Ranjan Das taught me singing. I took further training from Waqir Hussain `Sahab’ of Patiala. My wife gave me her support during bad times -when we had nothing to eat and no shelter,” says Puran Shah Koti, the sufi singer. He narrates how he moved to Shahkot in Jalandhar and took shelter in a small hut. It was there that he taught music to Jasbir Jassi and Hans Raj Hans.
He claims to have no knowledge of any ‘technical method’ of singing. He calls himself “a nomadic singer”. “They listened to me and then followed my way of singing. I guess that’s how they have learnt singing from me,” says the legendry singer Koti.
“I wish what we have learned from our forefathers could live forever because singing is eternal. I want to sing in the same way as I have sung my whole life. I have no interest in money and I don’t want any awards. But my only aim is to make the upcoming generation aware of Sufism, classical music, heritage, culture, food and singing,” says Puran Shan Koti. (ANI)
- Happy at popularity of Punjabi music: Daler Mehndi - Oct 02, 2011
- Bollywood takes liberty with Sufi music: Hans Raj Hans - Oct 12, 2009
- Social Islam biased against freedom of arts: Filmmaker Shama Zaidi - Apr 29, 2012
- Bollywood can wait: Abida Parveen (Interview) - Nov 08, 2010
- 'Patiala House' Music Is Not Different But Entertaining - Jan 17, 2011
- For Harshdeep, lyrics are backbone of a song (With Image) - May 15, 2012
- Amir Khusrau's legacy to come alive again (With image) - Feb 27, 2011
- 'Patiala House' packs in entertaining tracks (IANS Music Review) - Jan 17, 2011
- Balle balle! Punjabi music is flavour of Bollywood - Mar 09, 2011
- 'Bollywood success brings respect to Pakistani singers' (With Images) - Apr 15, 2010
- Sufism binds millions of hearts in subcontinent: Abida Parveen - Feb 28, 2012
- Punjabi filmmakers want to tell realistic stories - Jan 16, 2012
- Lata remembers veteran Marathi composer Khale - Sep 04, 2011
- It feels like a dream: L'il Champs winner - Oct 02, 2011
- The Indian voice heard at London Olympics (With Images) - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: aim, forefathers, further training, guru, hans raj hans, heritage culture, jasbir jassi, live forever, master salim, music heritage, music world, punjabi music, punjabi singers, raj, ranjan, sahab, shah koti, shan, sufi music, whole life