Punjab wildlife sanctuary officials seek more government aidApril 18th, 2009 - 6:53 pm ICT by ANI
Abohar (Punjab), Apr 18 (ANI): Officials of a sanctuary near Abohar in Punjab have sought more government aid.
Sanctuary guards do not have proper uniforms or licenses to protect the animals from poachers.
“The government is not helping us enough. We don’t have sufficient government resources. The people support us and we are able to manage the sanctuary well,” claimed Ashok Kumar, the Game Warden.
The sanctuary is spread across 46,513 acres and comprises of 13 villages in Firozpur District.
The Bishnoi community inhabits these villages and they are well known for their commitment to safeguard the environment and animals.
The Bishnois have volunteered to protect the animals from poachers, but admit that they have their limitations in terms of the time to be devoted and the distances to be covered..
The sanctuary was established by the Punjab Government in 1975.
Besides blackbucks, spotted deer, nilgais, peacocks, wild boars and hares live in the sanctuary. (ANI)
- Wild animals kill 22 in Himachal - Mar 21, 2012
- Is Sukhna sanctuary in Chandigarh home to leopards? - Dec 21, 2010
- Four arrested for poaching peacocks in Rajasthan - Jun 17, 2012
- Bihar village dreams big for its peacocks! - May 15, 2012
- Sariska tigers feature in BBC series (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- Rainwater harvesting works wonders for Sukhna Lake - Jan 11, 2011
- Chandigarh to conduct its first-ever wildlife census - Dec 08, 2010
- More peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Feb 26, 2011
- Marauding monkeys to face gun in Himachal - it's official - Dec 01, 2010
- Kashmir's spiral-horned Markhor goat in peril (With Images) - May 10, 2012
- Animals flee flooded Kaziranga park - Jun 28, 2010
- Haryana to count wildlife in May-June - Apr 22, 2012
- Missing in action, Uttarakhand's goral and barking deer (With Images) - May 18, 2012
- Two poachers held with deer carcasses in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 16, 2010
- Worried at poaching, Rajasthan launching Project Panther - Sep 13, 2011
Tags: abohar, animals, ashok kumar, bishnois, deer, distances, game warden, government aid, government resources, hares, peacocks, poachers, punjab government, uniforms, wild boars, wildlife sanctuary