Potbellies of policemen in Jharkhand draws concern at training campNovember 1st, 2010 - 10:04 pm ICT by ANI
By Girija Shankar Ojha
Ranchi, Nov.1 (ANI): Bulging bellies of policemen in Jharkhand have become a concern of the top brass here. The problem drew attention during an ongoing training camp for policemen in the capital city.
These police officials and other ranks’ bulging waistlines have also raised concern about their capability to handle anti-social elements.
The obesity problem drew authorities’ attention at a training camp organised for training with modern equipments like the AK-47s, Insas rifles, pistols and revolvers.
11 Deputy Superintendents of Police, 13 Inspectors, and 154 officers in charge, 279 Assistant Sub-Inspectors, 475 Constables and 2400 trainees participated are being given training here.
According to Santosh, the instructor of this camp, the ab-initio trainees outperformed the ranked officials at the shooting range and other exercises.
“The performance is definitely not praiseworthy but going by their age, it’s not such a bad job,” he said.
Many in the police ranks blamed the lack of training for their underperformance.
According to V K Singh, Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI), more such training sessions should be organised.
“Such training camps should be a regular affair. We had been out of practice, as such these training sessions help us in being in touch,” said V K Singh, ASI, Jharkhand Police.
Jharkhand being a Maoist sensitive State requires that the police officials should be fit enough in any challenging situation.
It may be noted that most of the police stations in Jharkhand are facing Maoist threat and in such a situation more and more police personnel must be well trained.
Ravinder Prasad, a Sergeant Major, is planning to organise a refresher course to get the police officials back in shape. He also said a proper fitness regime and diet will be designed for the police officials.
“After seeing the performances, we have decided to put the problem in front of senior Superintendent of Police. We are thinking of organising a refresher course so as to bring the police officials’ health in order,” said Ravinder Prasad.
Meanwhile, the training programme’s main objective was to provide adequate training to junior officers and trainees in the field of firing AK-47s, Insas Rifles, pistols and revolvers.
But now with the outcome, it seems the higher officials too need training sessions to get back in form. (ANI)
- Maoists shot policemen in head, burnt two - Jan 22, 2012
- Arms-training for Jharkhand police officers - Apr 11, 2010
- Delhi Police ASI shoots colleague over throwing of garbage (Second lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Guerrilla module busted in Srinagar - Aug 22, 2012
- Hardcore Maoist held in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Six Maoists, nine arms suppliers held - Jul 07, 2010
- Delhi Police ASI shoots head constable (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Jaipur shootout: Four cops sent to five days' CBI custody - Mar 12, 2011
- Jharkhand Police admit mistakes, to probe ambush killing - May 04, 2011
- Pakistani policeman fatally shoots colleague - Mar 06, 2011
- 300 obese Pakistani cops removed from field jobs - Jun 22, 2012
- Delhi Police official shoots constable - Dec 21, 2011
- 40 landmines recovered in Jharkhand - Feb 01, 2012
- Six UP cops booked for murdering colleague - May 09, 2012
- Drunk man beaten up by police at railway station - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: ab initio, ak 47s, bulging bellies, constables, deputy superintendents, fitness regime, insas rifles, jharkhand, maoist, obesity problem, ojha, ongoing training, police officials, potbellies, ravinder, refresher course, sergeant major, shooting range, social elements, waistlines