Post victory over LTTE, Mahinda Rajapaksa assures Tamils of equal rights (Part II)May 19th, 2009 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
The curtains came down on the 33-month-long Eelam War IV with Sri Lankan Army decimating the LTTE, resulting in the death of at least 18 top leaders presumably including V. Prabhakaran, the LTTE chief.
However, the military commanders on the ground were unable to officially confirm the death of Prabhakaran, as they had not been able to trace him or his body in the continuing combing operations. They believe that a body burnt beyond recognition recovered from the battle zone could be that of Prabhakaran.
Meanwhile, LTTE’s International Relations head S. Pathmanathan said Tamil Tigers chief was still alive and healthy.
“I wish to inform the global Tamil community distressed witnessing the final events of the war that our beloved leader is alive and safe. He will continue to lead the quest for dignity and freedom for the Tamil people,” the website TamilNet quoted Pathmanathan as saying. (ANI)
- Prabhakaran is still alive, claims LTTE - May 19, 2009
- Prabhakaran alive, claims pro-LTTE website - May 19, 2009
- Prabhakaran's body found, Rajapaksa says LTTE vanquished (Roundup) - May 19, 2009
- Is LTTEs Prabhakaran dead or not? - May 19, 2009
- Sri Lankan president announces end of civil war, Prabhakaran's body found (Third Lead) - May 19, 2009
- Tamil rebels make conflicting claims over Prabhakaran's death - May 25, 2009
- New LTTE chief arrested in Thailand - Aug 07, 2009
- Sri Lanka airs video of body claimed to be dead LTTE commander Prabhakaran - May 19, 2009
- UN panel finds credible 'war crimes' charges in Sri Lanka - Apr 26, 2011
- LTTE decides to end its bloody armed struggle (Lead) - May 17, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Bodies of Prabhakaran's son, six LTTE leaders found (Third Lead) - May 18, 2009
- DNA tests on Prabhakaran's body matched: Sri Lankan Army - May 28, 2009
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: battle zone, beloved leader, curtains, dignity, freedom, global tamil community, international relations, ltte chief, mahinda rajapaksa, military commanders, sri lankan army, tamil tigers, victory