Popular mango varieties of Malihabad may no more be availableMay 30th, 2009 - 9:57 pm ICT by ANI
Malihabad, May 30(ANI): Popular varieties of mangoes available in Uttar Pradesh’s Malihabad may soon become a thing of the past, as a growing number of orchard owners are drawn to profitable varieties of mangoes.The orchard owners say they are compelled to concentrate on just a few varieties due to market demand.
There was a time when about 700 varieties of mangoes were available in Malihabad. They have reduced to a few varieties now a days.
Veteran mango cultivator fear that mango varieties like Taimoorlang, Husnaara, Aabehayat and Zawahiri may soon be wiped out, since most of the mango growers are not focusing on these varieties.
He says that some of the varieties are already unavailable in the market.
“The reason for certain mango varieties facing extinction threat is the fact that mangoes like Dussheri, Chosa, Lucknowi have taken over the market in a big manner. Mango growers get a good price for these varieties. However, mango varieties that are facing extinction are not able to make their presence felt in the market as there are few trees grown of these varieties,” Haji Kalimullah Khan, a veteran mango cultivator said. (ANI)
- Of mangoes, chaat and chit-chat at minister's dawat - Jul 14, 2012
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- Guava cultivation in mango belt - Jun 23, 2009
- Strong gale damages mango crop in Bijnore - May 08, 2010
- Mango farmers rejoice over bumper crop in Uttarakhand - Apr 16, 2011
- Coca-Cola, Jain Irrigation to showcase modern mango farming in Andhra - Jul 24, 2012
- Mango festival organised in Karachi - Jun 13, 2010
- Royal treat for mango lovers at Delhi fest - Jul 02, 2011
- Boy killed in Bihar for plucking mangoes - May 25, 2012
- Proposed road endangers Uttar Pradesh mango belt - Sep 26, 2010
- Now order Alphonso mangoes through TV - May 03, 2011
- Mango festival in Haryana's Pinjore gardens - Jun 23, 2011
- Mango madness: Bhopal fetes king of fruit - Jun 30, 2011
- Cheers for cherry lovers with bountiful Himachal crop - May 27, 2012
- 'Dussehri' mangoes witness high demand in export market - Jun 09, 2010