Pet parrot’s birthday celebrated in Uttar PradeshMay 12th, 2009 - 11:43 am ICT by ANI
By Girish Kumar Dubey
Varanasi, May 12 (ANI): A musical band, hordes of sweets and a cake, made a perfect birthday bash thrown up by painter Baijnath Sharma, for his pet parrot.
The birthday bash was held in traditional style as Sharma offered prayers at one of the numerous temples dotting the landscape of Varanasi, for a long life of his pet on the occasion of the parrot’s 25th birthday.
The aging parrot, which has lost all his hair, was garlanded and made to eat sweets on his birthday.
“We have prepared sweets for him and also cut a cake. We are celebrating its 25th birthday,” he said.
The birthday party took the devotees visiting the temple by surprise and the children were even treated to birthday sweets.
“We had come to pay obeisance to the deity. We saw that a parrot’s birthday was being celebrated here. We pray that all the hair that the parrot has lost grow back,” said Sakshi, a devotee.
No one however asked Baijnath how he came to know about the bird’s birthday. (ANI)
- A town that never burns Ravana effigy - Oct 06, 2011
- Villagers welcome Gopal Dass with garlands, sweets - Apr 07, 2011
- Janmashtami celebrations: Prayers, fasts, fervour grips Delhi - Aug 10, 2012
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Maha Shivaratri with offerings, fasts and prayers - Feb 20, 2012
- Vaikuntha Ekadasi celebrations in Trichy - Dec 17, 2010
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Muslim vendors sell auspicious apparel for Hindu devotees in Varanasi - Jul 22, 2010
- River Ganges turns turbulent with rains in Varanasi; rituals disrupted - Aug 02, 2010
- Jayalalithaa turns 64, AIADMK leaders and cadres celebrate - Feb 24, 2012
- One lakh devotees at Odisha's Lingaraj temple - Feb 20, 2012
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012