People want peaceful polls in ManipurApril 10th, 2009 - 8:48 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, April 10 (ANI): People in Manipur fear that with political parties gearing up for the 15th Lok Sabha elections, militants are trying to vitiate the atmosphere and create a fear psychosis amongst political leaders and workers.
Suspected militants recently bombed the residence of Congress worker and the President of Imphal West District Jilla Prishad Soibam Subhaschandra at Ningombam village under Singjamei police station.
Though Subhaschandra was not at home at the time of blast, his wife Binodini sustained splinter injuries on her head.
A number of residents have registered protest against the bomb attack.
The incident has created panic among people and family members of victims.
“Such activities that disturb the public are hampering the work we are doing for the welfare of the society. It is my appeal that we shun the path of violence and live together in harmony. This is my earnest appeal,” said Soibam Subhaschandra Singh, Adhayaksha, Imphal West.
“I feel really unhappy and such incidents like throwing of bombs at the residence should not occur.” Sotinkumar Singh, victim’s Son.
Local residents staged a sit-in-protest at the community hall at Ningombam in Imphal, condemning the attack and demanded that such attacks should be stopped immediately.
“As public, we are really deeply unhappy and concerned about such incidents. We fear that we may be targeted and shot. We also fear for the lives of our children. We are really troubled,” said Prabha Leima Devi.
Workers of various political parties have condemned frequent targeting of the political leaders and workers in the state.
“This present situation, attacking, killing and threatening the candidates and political workers is a matter of great concern,” said Dr. H. Borobabu Singh, President, BJP, Manipur Pradesh.
The violence unleashed by militants has been strongly condemned by the people. It has severely disrupted the economic growth of the region. (ANI)
- Manipur people waiting for peace - Mar 10, 2010
- Manipuris agitated over incidents of bomb blasts, extortions - Sep 09, 2010
- Manipuri's fed up with repeated bomb attacks - Mar 03, 2010
- Manipur voters fearful after series of blasts - Jan 23, 2012
- Militants attack political leaders and workers in Manipur - Mar 22, 2009
- Grenade blast hits Congress office in poll-bound Manipur - Jan 05, 2012
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012
- PLA militant arrested in Imphal - Dec 29, 2010
- Militants threat affecting telecom service of Manipur - Apr 03, 2011
- Grenade attack injures three in Manipur - Jan 10, 2012
- Two security personnel injured in Imphal blast - Sep 05, 2012
- Manipur scribes stop newspaper publications to protest threat to comrade - Jul 23, 2010
- Airtel denies shutting down of operations in Manipur following militants attacks - Apr 23, 2011
- Four suspected militants arrested in Manipur - Feb 20, 2011
- Manipur University executive engineer's residence attacked by militants - May 13, 2009
Tags: atmosphere, bjp, bomb attack, bombs, congress, economic growth, family members, fear, harmony, imphal, lok sabha elections, police station, political leaders, political parties, polls, psychosis, sit in protest, violence, welfare