Orchid Festival blooms in SikkimMarch 30th, 2009 - 8:25 pm ICT by ANI
By Tashi Pradhan
Gangtok, Mar 30 (ANI): Sikkim is blooming these days with ongoing orchid flower festival 2009′.
The flower show commenced on March 21 at the exhibition center of Gangtok.
The flower show is already a hit with the visiting tourists as well as the resident, who are thronging the venue. The show is also drawing foreign tourists in droves.
“These flowers are just amazing and very beautiful. They are perfect. I just love them”, said Marina, tourist from Moscow.
The efforts of the organizing committee for displaying many varieties of orchids under one roof is applaudable.
According to chairman of the organizing committee, ST Lachungpa, there are 200 species of wild orchids and 60 hybrid varieties kept in the exhibition.
The exhibition saw participation from Darjeeling, Mirik, Kurseong, Kalimpong and Sikkim.
“Sikkim flower show is being held since1963. The orchid flower festival started in a big way from 1980’s. The main idea behind this show was to encourage people to grow orchids for commercial purposes”, said ST Lachungpa.
The flower fest exhibits around 3000 orchids along with Clevia, Seneria, Primula, Primrose, Anthorium, Ezelia, and other seasonal flowers.
This time, there has been better participation from aspiring florists of Sikkim. (ANI)
- Sikkim promotes village tourism - Jan 31, 2010
- After quake, tour operators get calls from anxious tourists - Sep 20, 2011
- Gurung asks Mamata for Rs.1,000 crore quake aid - Oct 11, 2011
- Sikkim gets its first Public art festival - Mar 23, 2011
- One injured, seven missing in Bengal accident - Jun 14, 2012
- Orchid industry blooms in Sikkim - Feb 24, 2011
- Flower show with a touch of florists' entrepreneurship lures visitors in Agartala - Jan 23, 2011
- GJM's Gorkhaland movement a failure: Ghising - Apr 10, 2011
- Orchid show stimulates tourism in Bolivia - Oct 15, 2009
- Ludhiana plays host to two-day Chrysanthemum exhibition - Dec 04, 2010
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- Floriculture business a boon for the local florist in Sikkim - Oct 06, 2009
- Trade picks up in Gangtok during Dalai Lama's visit - Dec 23, 2010
- Mamata to visit Darjeeling soon, appeals for peace - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: blooms, commercial purposes, droves, exhibition center, florists, flower festival, flower show, gangtok, hybrid varieties, kalimpong, march 21, mirik, orchid festival, orchid flower, organizing committee, seasonal flowers, sikkim, tashi, varieties of orchids, wild orchids