New military command to coordinate protection of Pentagon computer networksApril 22nd, 2009 - 5:49 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr.22 (ANI): The Obama administration plans to create a new military command to coordinate the defense of Pentagon computer networks and improve U.S. offensive capabilities in cyber warfare, according to current and former officials familiar with the plans.
The initiative will reshape the military’s efforts to protect its networks from attacks by hackers, especially those from countries such as China and Russia. The new command will be unveiled within the next few weeks, Fox News quoted Pentagon officials, as saying.
The move comes amid growing evidence that sophisticated cyber spies are attacking the U.S. electric grid and key defense programs.
A page-one story in The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday reported that hackers breached the Pentagon’s biggest weapons program, the 300 billion dollar Joint Strike Fighter, and stole data.
President Barack Obama, when he was a candidate for the White House, pledged to elevate cyber security as a national-security issue, equating it in significance with nuclear and biological weapons.
A White House team reviewing cyber security policy has completed its recommendations, including the creation of a top White House cyber policy official. Details of that and other proposals are still under debate. A final decision from the president is expected soon. (ANI)
- US to create new military command for cyber warfare: WSJ - Apr 22, 2009
- To bust Chinese hackers, NATO sees an ally in India - Sep 09, 2011
- China declines supporting cyber attackers - Mar 30, 2012
- Hacker group Anonymous could cause power outage in US - Feb 22, 2012
- US cyber war defenses not sufficient: Pentagon - Mar 17, 2011
- Cyber arms race could change the world around us (Comment) - Jun 27, 2012
- Cyber Command chief says Pentagon networks vulnerable - Sep 24, 2010
- Afghan War: Pentagon hopes to shift from counter-insurgency to counter-terrorism - Dec 17, 2010
- Obama to give address on Libya on Monday - Mar 26, 2011
- Unprecedented cyber attack on Canada linked to China - Feb 17, 2011
- Spies create top NATO commander's fake Facebook profile - Mar 13, 2012
- Cyber warfare: Indian Army boosts its defences - Jul 18, 2010
- Asia, cyber attacks headline list of growing threats to US, military says - Feb 09, 2011
- U.S. President Obama briefed on military operations in Libya - Mar 20, 2011
- Military ties with India growing : US - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: barack obama, biological weapons, computer networks, cyber policy, cyber security, cyber warfare, electric grid, final decision, fox news, hackers, joint strike fighter, military command, national security issue, offensive capabilities, pentagon, pentagon officials, security policy, spies, wall street, wall street journal