National Identification Authority of India Bill approvedSeptember 24th, 2010 - 2:27 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 24 (ANI): The Union Cabinet today approved the proposal for introducing the National Identification Authority of India Bill, 2010 in Parliament.
The Bill proposes to constitute a statutory authority to be called the National Identification Authority of India and lay down the powers and functions of the authority, the framework for issuing UID numbers (aadhaar numbers), major penalties and other related matters through an Act of Parliament.
This will involve an expenditure of ` 3023.01 crore which includes project components for issue of UID numbers by March 2011, and recurring establishment costs for the entire project phase of five years ending March 2014.
The UID project is primarily aimed at ensuing inclusive growth by providing a form of identity to those who do not have any identity.
It seeks to provide aadhaar numbers to the marginalised sections of society and thus would strengthen equity. Apart from providing identity, the aadhaar number will enable better delivery of services and effective governance.
The Bill seeks to establish the National Identification Authority of India for the purpose of issuing aadhaar numbers to individuals residing in India and to certain other classes of individuals, the manner of authentication of such individuals and other related and incidental matters. (ANI)
- Bill providing legal backup to UID number project approved - Sep 24, 2010
- Cabinet approves funding of Phase II of UIDAI scheme - Jul 22, 2010
- FAQ on 'Aadhaar' (To go with 'How to get your own unique identity') - May 08, 2011
- Over 2.8 crore unique identity numbers issued - Aug 24, 2011
- Both home ministry, UIDAI to gather data, cabinet decides - Jun 07, 2012
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi to launch Unique Identification Numbers on Sept. 29 - Sep 27, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to launch Unique Identification Numbers today - Sep 29, 2010
- Aadhaar to pilot financial, banking services in 50 districts - Apr 18, 2012
- Cyber expert fears misuse of UID numbers - Aug 12, 2011
- Each Unique ID number costs Rs.100: Nilekani - Dec 03, 2010
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi launch UID project in Maharashtra village - Sep 29, 2010
- Foreign diplomats get lesson on unique identification drive - Oct 20, 2011
- Karnataka extends Unique ID project to all districts - Feb 17, 2011
- Unique ID project launched in Orissa - May 10, 2011
Tags: act of parliament, authentication, crore, entire project, establishment costs, governance, India, New Delhi, parliament, project components, project phase, proposal, statutory authority, uid numbers, union cabinet