Nainital’s Bhimtal lake has an island aquariumJune 13th, 2009 - 11:39 pm ICT by ANI
By Vipul Goel
Nainital, June 13 (ANI): Nainital’s Bhimtal Lake is home to a large variety of aquatic species. There is an island in the centre of the lake that used to have a restaurant, which fascinated a lot of tourists until its beauty was ruined due to public’s leftovers.
The Nainital Lake Development Authority hence decided to develop an aquarium on the island. They have converted the restaurant into an aquarium to prevent pollution and clean the lake.
“Earlier, there used to be a restaurant on this island and a lot of tourists used to visit the restaurant. However, tourists used to leave behind waste that used to pollute the lake. The Nainital Lake Development Authority came up with the idea of converting the restaurant into an aquarium to stop the lake from being polluted,” said Dhiraj Gartayal, Secretary of the Nainital Lake Development Authority in Uttarakhand.
A variety of fishes from countries like South Africa, Mexico and China have been kept in the aquarium that are captivating tourists’ attention. They are excited to watch different species of fishes in it.
“I am having fun here. Seriously, it’s really nice to be here and watch different species of fishes. I am watching such species of fishes that I found only in books,” said Sakshi Goel, a tourist.
Developing the aquarium took a year for lake authorities here. The aquarium consists of around 12 ‘aquaboxes’ that contain fishes.
With the introduction of a major new feature, it is hoped anyone visiting Nainital will enjoy here the most.
Nainital is a popular tourist destination in India. (ANI)
- Nainital schoolchildren to clean Bhimtal lake - Dec 11, 2009
- Cleaning of Naini Lake begins in Nainital - Aug 14, 2010
- Nainital Tourism to greet summer vacationers - Mar 24, 2011
- Te Aroha - for hilly holiday with colonial feel (Feature, With Images) - May 10, 2012
- More tourists visiting Orissa's Chilika Lake - Nov 30, 2010
- Record fish production from Odisha's Chilika Lake - May 20, 2012
- Migratory birds are flying back home from Odisha - Feb 17, 2012
- Lake Naini polluted by garbage, sewerage water - Jul 17, 2010
- Algae-eating fish to clean up Chinese lake - Jan 05, 2012
- In cramped space even fishes turn aggressive - Sep 23, 2011
- Fish production in Chilika to cross 12,000 tonnes - Mar 31, 2011
- Migratory Siberian birds arrive in Haripura - Nov 29, 2010
- Propelled by shutdowns, Kashmiris 'fish' for pastime at Dal (Feature)(With Images) - Mar 07, 2012
- Tourism picks up in Nainital - Nov 11, 2010
- Aqua business opportunities on display at Chennai. - Feb 10, 2011