Nagpur college students launch drive to save birdsSeptember 7th, 2010 - 8:05 pm ICT by ANI
By Sunil Deehe
Nagpur, Sep.7 (ANI): A group of college studentshas launched adrive to save birds since learning that Nagpur’sbird population is on the decline.
Students of Lady Amritbai Daga College have initiated the campaign in which they are hung pots ofwater andgrains on the branches of trees in various parts of the city. They believe thiswill draw thebirds to their city.
Students climbed trees with the help ofsafety belts and other equipment provided by the Central Adventure Council (CAC), a local body working for conservation, and placed the small clay pots and boxes of grains for the birds ontree branches.
“As we know, very few places are available for the birds in the city and so we have initiated this artificial way of helping and attracting birds of the city. During this campaign, we are placing some small pots and boxes filled with grains on the branches of trees so that the birds will come into the city. It is an orientation programme to encourage the locals for preservation of birds,” said Suresh, an instructor and member of CAC.
As per local media reports, the bird population has been inrapid decline in the city due to the frequent changes in weather, high level of pollution and poor availabilityof water.
Students participated with enthusiasm.
“It was little scary, but I am glad that I participated in an activity which will save lives of birds and I am sure it will benefit them (birds),” said Priya, a student. (ANI)
- Christmas tree in Taiwan made of plastic spoons - Dec 21, 2010
- Nests for birds distributed in Taj City (With Image) - Jun 11, 2012
- In China, a swallow doesn't necessarily make a summer (With Images) (An Indian in China) - Jul 03, 2012
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Campaign launched to save birds from kite's thread in Surat - Jan 01, 2011
- Nature walk for school kids at Dikshit's house - Oct 05, 2011
- Poaching, illness killing peacocks near Delhi - Aug 25, 2012
- Americans mull whether to buy real or fake Christmas tree - Dec 22, 2010
- This green cover is upsetting residents! (Letter from Punjab) - Jul 03, 2012
- Where have all the sparrows gone? (With Images) (March 20 is World House Sparrow Day) - Mar 19, 2011
- Use glass-free manja this Makar Sankranti, urges PETA - Jan 07, 2011
- Ukrainian city ponders using wine to deport pigeons - Jul 24, 2012
- Shutdown near-total in Mumbai, most of Maharashtra (Second lead) - May 31, 2012
- 1,000 chicks chirp as storks visit Delhi zoo - Dec 07, 2011
- Europe freeze extends India sojourn of migratory birds - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: attracting birds, belts, bird population, boxes, cac, city students, college students, daga, decline, frequent changes, grains, local media, locals, orientation, pollution, small clay pots, trees