Nagin Lake to reclaim its glory soonApril 6th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
By: Afzal Bhatt
New Delhi, Apr. 6 (ANI): Jammu and Kashmir’s famed Nageen Lake is being cleaned under the conservation drive of Nageen Lake Conservation Organization, which is a forum of several voluntary bodies.
NLCO that started its cleaning drive on March 31 has reached in its sixth day.
“NLCO and others have started this drive here. It has been six days. And we have taken out a lot of polythene. It has been six days. Today people from NLCO and SMC were also here. We have done a lot of cleaning,” Jan Mohamed a volunteer in the drive said.
Kashmir has a number of lakes and water bodies, which are getting polluted due to constant dumping of non-degradable polythene and other waste materials.
Srinagar Municipality Corporation (SMC) is also participating in the campaign.
“The real motive was to make the people aware. Many of our water bodies are almost dead. Mansbal Lake, Pokribal and a few others are almost gone. So we started this programme to save Nageen. All of us have got together in this drive,” observed Manzoor Ahmad Wagnoo, President, NLCO, Srinagar.
Dal Lake and Nageen Lake are Kashmir valley’s main tourist attraction.
NLCO’s initiative will not only help these lakes to regain their past glory, but help make people aware of the need to keep the lakes clean.
A large number of school children and some locals also took part in the drive showing their spirit for conserving the water bodies.
Tourism is the major source of income and employment generation in Kashmir valley. (ANI)
- Lakes freeze in sub-zero Kashmir (With Images) - Jan 10, 2012
- Anti-polythene drive in Srinagar - Apr 20, 2009
- Cold wave continues in Kashmir, Dal Lake freezes - Dec 27, 2011
- Agra's war on plastic: One step forward, two steps back? - Jun 08, 2011
- Srinagar authorities launch cleanliness drive at Chuntkul lake - Dec 22, 2010
- Kashmir in deep freeze, Leh records minus 18 - Dec 31, 2011
- 73 Mathura villages join battle against Yamuna pollution - Jan 10, 2011
- Cycle rally to promote cleanliness in Kashmir Valley - Dec 08, 2010
- Agra wakes up to polythene menace, starts drains' clean-up - Sep 28, 2010
- Hundreds of eco-activists clean up Yamuna - Mar 18, 2012
- Windstorm causes widespread damage across Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Centre for environmental protection assistance to Kashmir: Ramesh - Jun 21, 2009
- Encroachments threatening Dal Lake's beauty - Nov 26, 2010
- Agra goes all out against polythene bags - Dec 15, 2010
- Agra's war on plastic: Nothing succeeds like success - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: ahmad, conservation organization, employment generation, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, lake conservation, mohamed, municipality, nagin lake, New Delhi, nlco, polythene, six days, sixth day, smc, tourist attraction, voluntary bodies, waste materials, water bodies