Mysterious history behind Predjama Castle

August 14th, 2008 - 12:17 pm ICT by Bupha Ravirot  

Tonight on the Sci Fi channel, “Ghost Hunters International” is airing two episodes, which the team of paranormal investigators are going to cover four European spots.

One of the four spots is Predjama Castle:

Castle was first mentioned in year 1274, when Aquileian patriarchs built the castle in gothic style. The castle was built under a natural rocky arch high in the stone wall to make access to it difficult. It was later annexed and re-shaped by family Luegg, also called Predjama knights. Erasmus, who was the owner of the castle in 15th century, and a renowned robber, later joined king Matthias Corvinus, for which the current caesar ordered Gasper Ravbar to assassinate him. After a long siege of the castle, Erasmus was finally killed in 1484 by being tricked. The castle has fallen under Oberburg and Purgstall power.

In year 1567 archduke Karel leased the castle to baron Philipp von Cobenzl, who bought off the castle after 20 years. He annexed the castle as early as 1570 and built a renaissance building, pressed next to a vertical cliff under the castle. The castle remained in such form until today. Count Michael Coronini von Cronberg inherited the castle in 1810 and it was property of family Windischgrätz from 1846 until the end of World War II. After the war it was nationalized and is now used as a museum for showing the life of medieval lords.

A secret natural shaft leads out of the castle, which Erasmus ordered to enlarge, and leads into Postojnska jama. This shaft allowed Erasmus to secretly supply the castle with food in the time of the siege; he also used it to continue with his robberies.

The team spends the night at 300-year-old Belgrave Hall in Leicester, England and then move on to the Ragged School of Edinburgh, a former home for destitute children these going to be aired at 8 and at 9, in a new installment, the team looks into claims about Predjama Castle and Cachtice Castle, one-time home of 16th-century serial killer Countess Elizabeth Bath-ory, built in the 13th century.

Related Stories

Tags: , ,

Posted in Events, Feature |

Subscribe