Mysore Palace hosts its 400th Dussera festivitiesOctober 17th, 2010 - 10:57 pm ICT by ANI
By Jaipal Sharma
Mysore, Oct.17 (ANI): Thousands of local residents and tourists enjoyed watching the traditional Jambu Sawari procession, a ritual of erstwhile royalty of Wodeyar dynasty, as the 10-day Dussera festival culminated here on Sunday.
The royal guards performed the march past with the State police band and musicians playing traditional instruments. Several dances were also performed following a number of tableaux, which were taken out on this special occasion today.
As per the traditions practised by the rulers of Mysore, the Wodeyar dynasty, the idol of Goddess Chamundeshwari is taken out in this royal procession, placed in a golden mandapa (canopy), atop a caparisoned elephant.
Nanja Raja, a resident of Mysore said that the Vijayanagar Kings first started these Dussera festivities in the 15th century and later the Wodeyars of Mysore have continued this tradition since circa 1610.
“Actually it was a King’s heritage festival. Vijaynagar emperors used to perform this Dussera festival during Ashada Shuddha Prathama (first day of Ashadha month as per Hindu almanac) to Vijayadashami. The main purpose for them was crossing our border and attacking our neighbouring King,” said Nanja Raja.
He also said that though the kings lost their glory during the colonial rule. the festive spirit of Dussera in Mysore never lost its fervour.
“When Britishers ruled India, even though there were 590 Kings, they were managed by Britishers. Hence, there was no question of one king attacking another king. Still Mysore Kings used to perform this heritage festival as their personal home function,” said Raja.
The scion of the erstwhile Mysore rulers, Titular Maharaja Srikanta Datta Narsimharaja Wodeyar led the ritual of these festivities this year as per the centuries old tradition.
Several cultural programmes were conducted during the ten-day festivities. (ANI)
- Mysore Dasara begins, promises pomp, pageantry - Sep 28, 2011
- Maharaja of Mysore's Rolls Royce to be auctioned - Aug 29, 2011
- Mysore Dussehra ends with grand elephant procession (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Elephant procession begins to mark Dasara end in Mysore - Oct 17, 2010
- Mysore Dasara promises a feast of pomp and pageantry - Oct 09, 2010
- Pomp and splendour mark beginning of Dussehra festivities in Mysore - Sep 20, 2009
- Mysore decked up for Sunday's 'Jamboo Savari' - Oct 16, 2010
- Foreigners dance to drum beats as Dussehra begins in Mysore - Sep 19, 2009
- Devotees participate in Lord Ram's procession in Allahabad - Oct 17, 2010
- Travancore: A princely state that set a 'progressive precedent' (Book Review with Image) - Jan 03, 2010
- Week-long Kullu Dussehra festivity begins - Oct 06, 2011
- Himachal deity gets back role in Dussehra festival - May 19, 2012
- Captured: Polymath S. Balachander and his great wars - Feb 10, 2012
- Ceremonial initiation of kids to learning alphabets in Kerala - Sep 28, 2009
- Deaths, births not allowed - Tripura marks Ker Puja (With Image) - Aug 02, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,