Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosquesAugust 12th, 2010 - 4:35 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 12 (ANI): Muslims marked the beginning of the holy Islamic month of Ramadan with prayers at various mosques on Thursday.
In Delhi hundreds of devout Muslims gathered at the Jama Masjid, to commence their month-long Roza after relishing the traditional Sehri.
In Islamic tradition, Ramadan is an auspicious month in which devout Muslims observe a fast from dawn to dusk everyday and worship and study the Holy Quran.
Ramadan is the ninth month and is considered the holiest one as per the Islamic lunar calendar, the beginning of which depends on the Imam sighting the New Moon through the naked eye.
Muslim residents in Delhi were seen eating their Sehri on Thursday morning outside the mosque.
“The month of Ramadan is a very holy one and it is meant for fasting and prayers. During this month Allah accepts our prayers. We ask for His blessings. Allah has given us the opportunity to serve Him during this month,” said Mohammed Javed.
During Ramadan, Muslims are forbidden to indulge in worldly acts or think improper thoughts. They also cannot indulge in offensive gestures or utter unkind words during this period.
Muslims buy meat and vegetables for their evening feasts known as Iftaar.
Observing Ramadan is said to strengthen one’s character.
Eid al-Fitr, Islam’s prime festival signifies the end of Ramadan and is celebrated with lavish meals and presentation of gifts. (ANI)
- Ramadan begins amid prayers in Kashmir - Jul 21, 2012
- Muslims across India offer prayers on last Friday of Ramadan - Sep 03, 2010
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Tomorrow is Eid ul-Fitr - Aug 30, 2011
- Ramzan fasts as usual for Omar, Farooq Abdullah - Aug 04, 2011
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated on Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Ramzan begins in Hyderabad - Aug 01, 2011
- Muslims in Kerala observe Ramadan fast (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Iran pardons 130 inmates ahead of Eid al-Fitr - Aug 16, 2012
- People all over the world are celebrating the end of Ramadan - Sep 10, 2010
- President Patil, Vice President Ansari greet people on Id-ul-Fitr - Sep 10, 2010
- Feasting all night long - at Jama Masjid of course (Feature) (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Ramadan, an uplifting time for stock markets in Muslim countries - Aug 04, 2010
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Meghalaya - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: al fitr, dawn to dusk, end of ramadan, holy quran, islamic lunar calendar, islamic tradition, jama masjid, javed, lavish meals, month of ramadan, mosques, muslim residents, naked eye, new moon, observing ramadan, offensive gestures, ramadan, roza, sehri, unkind words