MDMK chief Vaiko demands lifting of ban on LTTEOctober 29th, 2010 - 10:59 am ICT by ANI
Chennai, Oct. 29 (ANI): Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) founder-president V Gopalswamy, popularly known as Vaiko, and his followers staged a demonstration here on Thursday to demand the lifting of a ban imposed on the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
They assembled outside the tribunal trying the cases related to LTTE.
Vaiko, a staunch supporter of the LTTE and its cause, accused the state government of slapping stringent laws on LTTE sympathisers and of needlessly conducting a witch hunt against them.
“Mere expression of sympathy for the Tamil cause is branded as an act of terrorism and cases are framed,” said Vaiko.
A lone member tribunal under Justice Vikramajit Sen, has been set up under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act to examine ban on the LTTE and this court is functioning in Chennai.
After one of the hearings that was listed on Thursday, Tamil nationalist movement leader, Pazhanedumaran told media persons that the ban on LTTE would not kill the ideals of the organisation from the hearts of their supporters.
“By using the ban on LTTE, those supporting the cause of Sri Lankan Tamils are branded as ultras and action is taken against them. There is no democratic follow up in Tamil Nadu. We want to lift the ban on LTTE and no one can delete LTTE and so we continue to fight for this cause,” observed Pazhanedumaran, a Tamil nationalist movement leader.
Lawyers and supporters of the LTTE raised slogans outside the tribunal office against the ban on the outfit.
The Sri Lankan Army crushed the LTTE in May last year. Nearly three million Sri Lankan Tamils were relocated to refugee camps. A majority of them have since been resettled in their original villages but still need assistance for accommodation and restart their livelihood. (ANI)
- Rajapaksa visit: Vaiko, supporters detained - Sep 21, 2012
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- MDMK chief Vaiko wants UN to intervene in Sri Lanka - Jul 25, 2009
- Vaiko seeks UN intervention in Sri Lankan crisis - Apr 19, 2009
- Vaiko taken into preventive custody ahead of Rajapaksa visit - Jun 08, 2010
- MDMK activists protest Centre's invitation to Sri Lankan president Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
- MDMK leader Vaiko slams Government for inaction on easing Lankan Tamils plight - Sep 11, 2009
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- Vaiko condemns special treatment for Lankan president at Tirupati - Jan 01, 2010
- Vaiko goes on hunger strike over deportation of Prabakaran's mother - Apr 22, 2010
- AIADMK alliance committed to overthrow Congress-DMK compile in assembly polls: Vaiko - Jan 01, 2011
- Centre should take tough stand on Lankan Navy attacks: Vaiko - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: chennai, dravida, founder president, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, livelihood, lone member, media persons, movement leader, nationalist movement, prevention act, refugee camps, slogans, sri lankan army, sri lankan tamils, stringent laws, tamil cause, tribunal office, ultras, witch hunt