Marathwada sugar mills face closureAugust 13th, 2009 - 8:37 pm ICT by ANI
By Abdul Hadi
Aurangabad, Aug.13 (ANI): Sugar mills in Maharashtra’s Marathwada region are on the verge of closure following a shortfall in sugarcane production.
Farmers blame the sharp downfall on scanty rainfall and low procurement prices.
Farmers have planted less sugarcane for the second successive year due to these factors.
The Chatrapati Sambhaji Raje Sakher Sugar Mill in the Adul area of Aurangabad district continues to remain closed for the last one year. And this year too, the management is unsure if the mill will reopen.
“The sugarcane output has reduced and it has led to the closure of many factories. They closed down last year. They will be closed this year too. The sugarcane yield will not be enough to meet the demand in India,” said Haribhao Kishanrao Bagre, owner of the Chatrapati Sambhaji Raje Sakher Sugar Mill, Adul,
Last year, 34 out of 57 sugar mills in the Marathwada region could continue their operation due to insufficient sugarcane produce. This year, the number might fall further.
“According to me, only 15 odd factories will continue operating while the rest will remain closed because of sugarcane shortage,” said Haribhao Kishanrao Bagre, the owner of the Chatrapati Sambhaji Raje Sakher Sugar Mill in the Adul area.
Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar last month said the country is expected to produce 15.0-15.5 million tonnes of sugar in the year till September, which is down from 26.3 million tonnes a year ago.
To maintain the supply of sugar and help control price and black marketing, India has contracted imports for about 2.5 million tonnes of raw sugar this year. Traders expect the country to buy another three million tonnes in 2009-10.
India has extended its scheme to allow duty-free raw sugar imports until March and white sugar imports up to November.
- India provides $27 mn for agro-processing plants in Ghana - May 25, 2012
- Sugar policy must create export surplus, not induce imports (Comment) - Feb 08, 2011
- Maharashtra CM Chavan happy with bumper sugarcane harvest - Aug 23, 2010
- Sugar output may drop by 1 mn tonne - Aug 08, 2012
- Government's decision on sugar exports next week - Nov 17, 2011
- Government efforts keeping sugar price stable: Mukherjee - Apr 24, 2012
- India's Karuturi to construct sugar factory in Ethiopia - Dec 24, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh sugar output up despite adversities - Feb 21, 2010
- Sugar output rises 17 percent in October-December 2011 - Jan 03, 2012
- Mayawati announces steep hike in sugarcane price - Nov 08, 2011
- Govt. extends duty free import of white and raw sugar: Pawar - Jul 31, 2009
- Maharashtra tops India's sugar production - Aug 18, 2011
- Indian firm to build sugar mill in Ethiopia - Jul 19, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh to continue ban on import of raw sugar - Nov 22, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh sugar production to rise by 20 percent - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,