Maoists blow up railway tracks on the second day of 72-hour shutdownFebruary 8th, 2010 - 12:56 pm ICT by ANI
Jharkhand/ Orissa/ Bihar/ West Bengal, Feb 8 (ANI): Maoists blew up two railway tracks on the second day of the 72-hour shutdown call given by them on Sunday across the four states of Jharkhand, Orissa, Bihar and West Bengal.
A railway track has been blown up in Bhalulata in Sundargarh on the Orissa-Jharkhand border. The explosive was planted under a compartment of a goods train and the blast resulted in its derailment.
Another explosive that was planted on the Up-line tracks was detected and de-fused by the bomb squad early on Monday morning.
At least eight pairs of express and mail trains, and a large number of freight trains have been cancelled following the accident.
Maoists also blew up a meter of the track in the Kiul-Jamalpur-Bhagalpur section in Bihar, thereby targetting the Howrah-Delhi route for the second consecutive day.
Earlier on Sunday, a railway official was killed and a railway track was blown up near Narganjo in Bihar.
Two other railway tracks on the Delhi-Howrah route were also damaged on Sunday affecting train services between Howrah and Delhi.
There were also reports of a railway supervisor being killed on the Jharkhand-Orissa border.
West Bengal has been put on a state of high alert after Maoists killed a CPM leader near Veerbhum on Sunday.
Several trains were cancelled and a few trains including the Ranchi Rajdhani Express were diverted on Sunday to avoid untoward incidents.
All four states are on high alert ahead of the shutdown and extra vigilance is being maintained by police stations in the Naxal-affected districts.
Additional forces of Special Auxiliary Police, Bihar Military Police and central para-military forces have also been deployed.
The shutdown has been called to protest against joint police operations in the four states. (ANI)
- Maoists blow up railway tracks; kill officials ahead of shutdown - Feb 07, 2010
- Maoists strike ahead of Chidambaram's Kolkata meeting - Feb 09, 2010
- Maoists blast rail tracks in Bihar, Jharkhand (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Chidambaram to Maoists: we'll talk but stop violence (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2010
- Maoist rebels blow up railway track in Orissa - Feb 10, 2010
- Maoist blow up rail track in West Bengal - May 19, 2010
- Maoist guerrillas blow up rail track in Orissa (Lead) - Feb 08, 2010
- Maoists blast rail track in Bihar, trains disrupted (Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- E. Ahamed calls for cooperation from state governments to deal with Maoists - Mar 23, 2010
- Maoists blast rail tracks, kill guard in Jharkhand (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Maoists attack railway tracks in four states on day two of shutdown - Mar 23, 2010
- CPI-M demands explanation from PM on increasing Maoist violence - Mar 24, 2010
- Maoists blow up two rail tracks in Orissa - Feb 10, 2010
- Maoists derail Rajdhani, train services hit hard (Afternoon Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- Maoists blow up rail track in Orissa - Feb 08, 2010
Tags: auxiliary police, bihar, bomb squad, derailment, four states, freight trains, goods train, howrah, kiul, mail trains, maoists, orissa, police operations, police stations, railway official, railway track, rajdhani express, ranchi, train services, west bengal