Manipuris protest against bomb attacksJanuary 18th, 2010 - 8:35 pm ICT by ANI
ImphalJan 17 (ANI): People in Manipur once again took to the streets in protest against frequent bomb blasts, extortion and abductions carried out by militants in the state.
Recently the state police nabbed two militants involved in a recent grenade attack on the residence of the opposition leader Radhabinod Koijam.
A combined search operation by security team of Imphal West District Police and Assam Rifles personnel succeeded in arresting two militants of the People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak, (PREPAK), who had attacked the residence of Opposition leader Radhabinod Koijam at Thangmeiband in Imphal on January 6.
A Manipur Rifles personnel who was on sentry duty at the residence, was severely injured by the blast.
According to Imphal West Additional Superintendent of Police Jhalajit Singh, “The crime undertaken under the command of arrested militant Monao includes grenade attack at the residence of Minister Radhabinod Koijam and killings of non-Manipuris.”
Arms and ammunition were recovered during the arrest of the militants.
According to sources one of the detained militants is also linked up with other crimes like killings of non-local migrant workers and extortion cases in the state.
“Attacking leaders and other people in the society and threatening them for extortion is not right. It will have an adverse impact on the whole society and its development,” said Dinachandra.
“In broad daylight, they dare to throw grenade. This has nothing to do with insurgency based on ideology or philosophy. This is a criminal act of some extortionist. This can’t be a fight for Manipur,” Radhabinod Koijam, Victim.
- Four nabbed for possessing arms cache in Manipur - May 02, 2010
- PLA militant arrested in Imphal - Dec 29, 2010
- One killed in Manipur blast (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Blast outside Manipur speaker's house, one killed (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Grenade attack at Manipur ex-chief minister's house - Jan 06, 2010
- Grenade blast hits Congress office in poll-bound Manipur - Jan 05, 2012
- Manipuris agitated over incidents of bomb blasts, extortions - Sep 09, 2010
- Nine militants killed in Manipur encounters - Dec 24, 2009
- Arms seized in Manipur District - Feb 01, 2011
- Manipur's militant outfit disrupt inter-state bus services - Sep 21, 2010
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two troopers injured (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Manipuri militant nabbed - Feb 16, 2012
- Two security personnel injured in Imphal blast - Sep 05, 2012
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: adverse impact, assam rifles, bomb attacks, bomb blasts, broad daylight, criminal act, district police, extortion cases, extortionist, grenade attack, imphal, manipur, migrant workers, militants, opposition leader, prepak, revolutionary party, search operation, security team, sentry duty