Manipuri’s fed up with repeated bomb attacksMarch 3rd, 2010 - 8:09 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, Mar 3 (ANI): Victims of bomb abd insurgent attacks have expressed their frustration over such incidents saying they don’t know why they take place.
Manipur has been witnessing increasing militant led violence. Recently in a bomb explosion in Chandel District, a child was killed and three others injured.
On February 19, villagers of Aizezang in Chandel District, around 165 Kilometres from Imphal faced a bomb attack which killed a 15 year-old boy - James Zou on the spot.
The blast also left three others injured.
The other two are undergoing treatment at the Assam Rifles Hospital at Sajik Tampak in the District.
Recently, it was discovered that some farmers in Chandel District bordering Myanmar have been engaging in growing poppy, which is used for making drugs.
“They were out in the field farming, when the blast occurred. At that time, around 300 people comprising of Police Teams, Assam Rifles and members of AMADA were destroying large-scale poppy plantations in the nearby jungle,”said Nehthang Haokip, chief of Molphei village.
In another incident on February 16, some armed miscreants hurled a grenade at the residence of Mangsatabam Ibomcha, Chief Engineer of Public Heath Engineering Department (PHED) in Keishamthong Top Leirak.
However, there were no casualties.
“We don’t know the reason behind the bomb attack. The attack came as a surprise to us,” said M. Ibomcha, a victim.
“We are holding this sit-in-protest, condemning the hurling of bomb and to appeal to unknown people not to do such things in future as we are doing essential duties,” said L. Ibomcha.
Condemning frequent bomb attacks; official staff of Public Health Engineering Department stopped work for a day to stage a sit-in-protest in front of the PWD Complex at Khoyathong in Imphal.
The people of Manipur live in fear caused by threats and uncertainty created by militants in the state. (ANI)
- Nine Manipur militants killed in encounters (Lead) - Dec 24, 2009
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Four suspected militants arrested in Manipur - Feb 20, 2011
- Shutdown-plagued Manipur votes Saturday - Jan 27, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two injured - Sep 09, 2012
- Two security personnel injured in Imphal blast - Sep 05, 2012
- Manipur people waiting for peace - Mar 10, 2010
- Price- Regulation campaign in Manipur - Jul 08, 2010
- Manipur poll violence: One killed in militant attack on booth - Jan 28, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two troopers injured (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Five people killed in Manipur blast - Aug 01, 2011
- Anti-drug outfit halts anti-price rise campaign in Manipur - Jul 12, 2010
- Militants abduct government engineers in Manipur - Nov 28, 2010
- Nine militants killed in Manipur encounters - Dec 24, 2009
Tags: abd, assam rifles, bomb attack, bomb attacks, bomb explosion, chief engineer, engineering department, grenade, insurgent attacks, kilometres, manipur, manipuri, militants, miscreants, phed, police teams, poppy plantations, public health engineering, sit in protest, undergoing treatment