Malay court tells doctors to get female patients’ consent before taking pictures of private partsSeptember 3rd, 2010 - 9:08 pm ICT by ANI
Georgetown (Malaysia), Sep.3 (ANI): The Malaysian High Court has told surgeons in the country to obtain their female patients’ consent before taking pictures of their intimate parts.
Judicial Commissioner Chew Soo Ho, in allowing the claim by former reporter Lee Ewe Poh, 51, against general and colorectal surgeon Dr Lim Teik Mau and Loh Guan Lye and Sons Sdn Bhd, said the modesty of female patients must be respected and not violated.
“Failure to do so constitutes invasion of privacy, and a breach of trust and confidence,” the New Strait Times quoted Chew as saying while awarding Lee RM 25,000 in general damages and RM 10,000 in costs.
Lee had filed the suit against Dr Lim and the hospital, saying that she felt violated after pictures of her private parts were taken during a haemorrhoid surgery.
Chew said the defendants’ expert witness, Dr Mohamed Akhtar Qureshi, a leading general and colorectal surgeon in the country, had testified that it was an acceptable practice for patients to be photographed under sedation.
However, under cross-examination Dr Akhtar had agreed that the right to make the decision on whether such pictures could be taken or not rested solely on the patients, noting that they must be warned in advance. (ANI)
- Malaysian woman wins invasion of privacy case against doctor - Sep 03, 2010
- HINDRAF chief files RM 100 m libel suit against ten persons - Jan 01, 2010
- Malay temple bodies organizing `Hungry Ghost Festival' don't fancy sexy showgirls' - Aug 03, 2010
- Malaysian bloggers chalk up revenues of up to RM1mil annually - Jan 24, 2011
- Malaysian Indian businessman spared jail term - Mar 02, 2011
- Many keep smoking even after cancer diagnosis - Jan 23, 2012
- Keyhole bowel cancer surgery is safe and effective: Study - Nov 05, 2010
- Malaysia to purchase, re-sell US weapons - Mar 29, 2011
- Chewing gum can give you wrinkles - Mar 11, 2010
- Penang to attempt new Guinness dance record on New Year's Eve - Dec 08, 2009
- Malay Indian conman rips off 40 firms - Jul 16, 2010
- Tsunami alert lifted in Malaysia - Apr 07, 2010
- Unending tale of an HIV negative man's ordeal in Malaysia - Mar 04, 2011
- Malaysia's Democratic Action Party urged to revive Indian bureau - Jun 26, 2010
- Malaysian surgeons to learn piles management from Prof Rama Kant - May 27, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,