Maharashtra lawyer Waghmare agrees to represent KasabApril 1st, 2009 - 5:06 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, April 1 (ANI): A day after stating that she was not in a position to defend Amir Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist in the November 26 terror strikes, Anjali Waghmare on Wednesday agreed to fight the case.
Confirming her decision to Justice Tahiliani, who will preside over Kasab’s trial, Waghmare said, “I will continue as Kasab’s lawyer and will represent him in trial.”
Justifying her decision to defend Kasab, Waghmare said, “I am an Indian citizen and I have taken Kasab’s case in the country’s interest.”
Waghmare revealed to the media that it was already clarified that she would continue to counsel Kasab provided the government gives her Z category security.
“The government has kept its word, and I have kept mine,” she said.
Expressing shock over the violent protests outside her home, Waghmare said the attack was an emotional reaction by an agitated mob.
Meanwhile, the Shiv Sena, whose nine members were arrested in connection with the attack on Waghmare’s home, said that it has no problems with her supporting Kasab and won’t prevent her from doing her job.
On Tuesday, Waghmare had told a special court here that she was under immense pressure and needed a day to decide and think about the issue.
An advocate from the Maharashtra Legal Aid cell, Waghmare was appointed by the court on March 30 to represent Kasab in the upcoming trial on April 6. (ANI)
- Waghmare needs a day to decide on representing Kasab - Mar 31, 2009
- Nine Shiv Sainiks held for protest outside Kasab ex-lawyer's house - Mar 31, 2009
- Anjali Waghmare will fight Kasab case: minister (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Time line of Ajmal Amir Kasab's trial - May 02, 2010
- Anjali Waghmare gets high security for defending Kasab - Apr 01, 2009
- 'Waghmare has not withdrawn from Kasab's case' - Mar 31, 2009
- Kasab's lawyer Anjali Waghmare removed - Apr 15, 2009
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Kasab gets new lawyer - Apr 16, 2009
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Kasab will be asked to appeal: Lawyer - Feb 21, 2011
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- Man in egg cell who costs India high - Nov 25, 2010
- Kasab's lawyer found lying, judge threatens to replace him - Nov 26, 2009