Lion falls into trap meant for man-eater leopard in Gujarat villageFebruary 6th, 2010 - 8:58 pm ICT by ANI
By Suresh Soni
Junagadh (Gujarat), Feb.6 (ANI): A lion was trapped in a cage, which was intended to catch a suspected man-eater leopard in a village of Gujarat’s Junagadh District on Friday.
The trap was put in place by Forest Rangers to catch a leopard.
Villagers had complained that lions and leopards often stray into the villages and eat their cattle. Following their complaints, forest authorities had placed a cage to trap the suspected man-eater leopard.
The incident caused curiosity and panic among residents of Sukhpur village when they learnt about the lion in the trap.
However, the authorities have stated that erroneously trapped lion will soon be set free in jungle.
“Following a request from villagers, we had placed a cage to capture a leopard. Tonight a lion that is about four years of age, a male lion, has been trapped in that cage. Now we, as per the instructions of forest authorities, will treat the animal and would put it back in the forest area.” said D. Sobhasaniya, Range Forest Officer (RFO), Junagadh.
The depletion of their habitat has threatened the leopards, forcing them to stray into human settlements; attacking people and cattle and often getting killed in return.
India had about 7,300 leopards in the wild, according to a 1997 census, but conservationists say the number is now likely to be much lower.
Development pressures and encroachment into forest areas have also brought humans and the wild cats into conflict, and there have been reports of villagers brutally killing the animals. (ANI)
- Man-eater leopard trapped alive by wildlife enthusiast - Nov 18, 2011
- Leopard pays a visit to Hema Malini's bungalow - May 27, 2011
- Leopard enters Hema Malini's bungalow (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Leopard tranquilised, shifted to Kashmir's Dachigam National Park - Mar 03, 2010
- Leopard enters Hema Malini's bungalow, vanishes (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Leopard enters Hema Malini bungalow, vanishes (Third Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Efforts intensified to trap leopards near Tirupati temple - Aug 06, 2010
- Assam forest ranger rescues leopard, gets injured - Jul 26, 2011
- Odisha releases captured leopard after protests - Aug 08, 2012
- Leopard attacks on humans on rise in Himachal - Mar 01, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh villagers kill leopard for alleged trespassing into human settlement - Feb 21, 2010
- Tiger on prowl in Lucknow's neighbourhood - Jan 10, 2012
- Leopard captured in Odisha made to 'entertain' locals - Jul 09, 2012
- Tiger on prowl near Lucknow finally trapped - Apr 25, 2012
- Leopard recovered from Gurgaon farmhouse - Jul 11, 2010
Tags: conservationists, curiosity, development pressures, encroachment, forest area, forest areas, forest authorities, forest officer, forest rangers, gujarat, human settlements, junagadh, leopard, leopards, male lion, man eater, rfo, soni, suresh, wild cats