Karnataka’s Bunts community dips child in cold water as ritualDecember 19th, 2010 - 8:53 pm ICT by ANI
By Harish Nayak
Vittala (Karnataka), Dec.19 (ANI): The Bunts community of Karnataka dipped small children in the cold water during winter season to seek the divine blessings as part of a ritual at the temple of Goddess Ullalthi near Vittala village.
Kepu-Vittala village is around 30 kilometres off the Mangalore.
Children, aged below five years, bear it by crying.
Dayanan, a devotee from Mumbai, said for the well being of their children they come to this place.
“This tradition has been going on from past many years and we all are very happy by this tradition. We offer our children to Goddess Ullathi for the well being of them,” said Dayanan.
People dip their children in cold waters of the pond in front of the temple followed by worship at the temple.
It is a tradition among the Bunts that each child born in the Kepu-Vittala region should be brought to this temple of Goddess Ulllathi.
The locals believe it as a custom, which has been practised for the past 1000 years.
According to them, Goddess Ulllathi had blessed a Bunt community with prosperity and asked every other family to bring the children born in the region to her temple. (ANI)
- 'Divine footprints' on pond attract hundreds of devotees - Dec 01, 2011
- With a burst of yellow, Indians mark Basant Panchami - Feb 08, 2011
- To pull tourists, Himachal books its legends (IANS Books)(With Image) - Aug 24, 2011
- Pond revered by Hindus drying up in Pakistan - Apr 22, 2012
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- As Chhath ends, Hindu-Muslim amity shines through - Nov 02, 2011
- Weeklong Kullu Dussehra festivities end - Oct 12, 2011
- Karnataka's 'Pilikula Heritage Village' preserves pottery tradition - Dec 17, 2010
- Faith cuts through cold at Kashmiri saint's Urs (With Images) - Jan 21, 2012
- Over 200 deities to join Himachal's Mahashivratri! - Feb 20, 2012
- South India heralds New Year, north ushers Navratri (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
- Fervour and gaiety mark first day of Navratri - Apr 04, 2011
- Lower castes in Orissa take out religious procession to mark Ghata Yatra - Jun 25, 2010
- Pilgrims' progress begins to Rajasthan's Kumbh Mela - Apr 11, 2011
- Jharkhand fan keeps fast for Indfia's triumph - Apr 02, 2011