Jewellers in Karnataka gear up for Akshaya TritiyaApril 26th, 2009 - 9:20 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Apr 26 (ANI): Despite the global meltdown, demand for gold has shot up as goldsmiths and jewellers in Karnataka have been stocking the yellow metal in anticipation of bountiful returns from the yearly ritual known as Akshaya Tritiya that is due on Monday (April 27) this year.
Akshaya Tritiya, as per Indian Hindu calendar comes usually during March-April.
The day is considered as auspicious by south Indians in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh.
In contrast to all other festivities that were celebrated in an austere manner over the past one-year due to recession, Akshaya Tritiya seems to have no barriers.
Now that Akshaya Tritiya is round the corner, jewellers are gearing up for the sales extravaganza, capitalising on the common belief that buying precious things during this period ushers good luck and fortune.
Goldsmiths and jewellers admit that their business has improved in the past few weeks and there is more demand for the daily-wear ornaments, coins and lightweight jewellery as they are affordable.
“It (global meltdown) has affected all other companies as well as the jewellery market, but due to Akshaya Tritiya, there are so many people who have preserved their hard earned cash to buy it (gold) on Akshaya Tritiya,” said Chandrashekar, Managing Director, Davanam Jewellers, Bangalore.
“We had some fears that whether the Akshaya Tritiya will go on well or not, but if we look at the customers’ response in past two-three days, we are actually doing very well,” Chandrashekar added.
The price for standard weight of 10 grams of gold has lowered down from Rs.15000 to Rs. 13800.
These trends have encouraged prospective buyers and the resourceful families to shop for gold.
“Even though the gold rates are very high, I have been purchasing it from the last 4-5 years. On the occasion of Akshaya Tritiya, I purchased gold . So even if the gold rates are high, I like to purchase gold,” observed Gayatri, a housewife. (ANI)
- Cheer for buyers as gold prices dip on Akshaya Tritiya (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Slip in gold prices an added incentive to buyers this Akshaya Tritiya - May 06, 2011
- Gold prices dip an added draw to Akshaya Tritiya buyers (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Gold traders on Akshaya Tritiya high - Apr 23, 2012
- India again saw gold rush despite robust stock markets (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
- Six percent discount on gold coins on Akshaya Tritiya - Apr 23, 2012
- Gold sales up on Dhanteras despite high prices - Oct 24, 2011
- Special trade at stock exchanges Akshaya Tritiya - May 16, 2010
- Gold prices soar ahead of Akshaya Tritiya - May 13, 2010
- Akshaya Tritiya observed by holy dip at Allahabad - May 16, 2010
- Shubh Jewellers targets southern India with 550 gold outlets - Dec 15, 2011
- Gold rush before Dhanteras: Jewellers - Oct 23, 2011
- People in Kerala begin buying gold on Akshaya Tritiya - Apr 27, 2009
- High prices behind weak demand for diamonds this V-Day - Feb 13, 2012
- Band baaja baarat on Delhi streets Tuesday - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: akshaya tritiya, anticipation, bangalore, coins, fears, festivities, gold rates, goldsmiths, good luck, hindu calendar, indian hindu, jewellery, kerala, managing director, ornaments, precious things, prospective buyers, recession, south indians, tamil nadu