J-K Police training people in combat tacticsMay 21st, 2010 - 10:01 pm ICT by ANI
By Vijay Kumar Sharma
R.S. Pura (Jammu and Kashmir), May 21 (ANI): Residents of R.S. Pura District of Jammu and Kashmir are being given training in combating militants in the region by the state police.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police along with the Village Defence Committee (VDC) are imparting special training to the people of R S Pura.
The Police Department brought all VDC’s together because the people from neighbouring villages recognise each other and can keep an eye on the militants.
“The advantage of such a training, for people like us, is that when we go to the borders we are able to handle the tough situation. We can help our own people and protect the border from any militant activities,” said Bushan Lal, a Village Defence Committee member
“There are many more advantages even for the Village Defence Committee during militant infiltrations. They are able to recognise the outsiders instantly,” he added.
They are taught how to deal with emergencies in the region. Around 500 rounds were fired during the ongoing training program at the Satowali firing range.
“The local level security grid comprises the Village Defence Committee, which plays an important role in border security. They have been briefed about intelligence gathering, how to maintain the local level security grid, how to use the weapons and guard them,” said J.S Johar, Superintendent of Police, Headquarter, Jammu and Kashmir police.
“They are also taught how to prepare ambushes. Apart from this, they have practised how to fire. The Village Defence Committees of R.S Pura and Miran Sahib were given training that has been a confidence booster for them,” he added.
The VDC members have been giving important information leading to the arrest of many militants near the borders.
The Village Defence Committee members are happy with the three- day training session.
The Committee was set up ten years ago, but the District Police felt that more training needed to be given to them to combat militant activities in the area.(ANI)
- Security forces train Kashmiri villagers to combat infiltration bids - Jun 13, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir Police takes stock of village defence committees - Sep 07, 2012
- 475 special police officers killed in Kashmir militancy - Mar 31, 2012
- J-K Village Defence Committee members on high alert - Apr 10, 2010
- BSF trooper injured in cross-border firing near Jammu - Aug 11, 2012
- BSF personnel foil infiltration bid in Jammu and Kashmir - May 13, 2010
- VDC, Army launch joint operations to flush out militants in J-K - May 16, 2010
- Bomb diffused near Jammu - Jun 28, 2012
- Bomb defused near Jammu (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Jammu villagers being trained to curb infiltration - May 21, 2010
- Second phase of panchayat polls held along Indo-Pak border in R.S. Pura - Apr 17, 2011
- Pakistani intruder killed in Kashmir - May 10, 2010
- BSF in search of infiltrators after discovering holes in border fence - Jan 23, 2010
- Poonch villagers help security forces in search operations - May 16, 2010
- Pakistan Rangers violate ceasefire in Jammu-Kashmir's R S Pura Sector - Jul 21, 2010
Tags: border security, bushan, combat tactics, confidence booster, defence committee, defence committees, district police, firing range, jammu and kashmir, johar, kashmir, kumar sharma, lal, level security, miran sahib, neighbouring villages, ongoing training, police training, vdc, vijay kumar