India celebrates four festivalsApril 14th, 2009 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr. 14 (ANI): Four festivals - Bihu, Naba Barsh, Puthandu Pirappu and Vishu - are being celebrated today in different parts of the country.
President Pratibha Patil has greeted the nation on the occasion.
“On the auspicious occasion of Rongali Bihu, Naba Barsh, Puthandu Pirappu, and Vishu, I extend my greetings and good wishes to all my countrymen,” she said.
“These festivals celebrated in different parts of the country, denote the underlying unity of our rich and diverse culture and strengthen the pluralistic heritage of the nation. May the festivals bring peace, happiness and prosperity to all,” she added.
Bihu, the harvest festival of Assam, has an agricultural and seasonal background.
Naba Barsh is the celebration of Bengali New Year. It marks the first day of Baisakh- the first month of Bengali Calendar.
Puthandu Pirappu marks the Tamil New Year’s Day and is celebrated in the beginning of Chithirai - the first month in the Tamil Calendar year.
Vishu is a festival held in Kerala in South India. It is also considered as the harvest festival of Kerala.
The festival marks the beginning of the Malayalam New Year and brings with it memories of a glorious past and hopes of a better tomorrow. (ANI)
- President greets nation ahead of Bihu, Naba Barsh and Vishu - Apr 13, 2009
- President, Vice President, PM greet nation on Vishu, Rongali Bihu - Apr 13, 2011
- PM greets nation on Baisakhi, Vishu and Bihu - Apr 12, 2012
- PM greets nation on Vaisakhi, Bihu - Apr 13, 2011
- New Year celebrations in India - Apr 14, 2009
- President, PM greet nation on harvest festivals (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Baisakhi (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- President, vice-president greet nation on Baisakhi - Apr 13, 2010
- Bengalis celebrate 'Poila Baisakh' with prayers and sweets - Apr 15, 2011
- Politicos piggyback on Bengali new year bonhomie - Apr 14, 2011
- Songs and dances mark Assamese new year - Apr 14, 2012
- Assamese community celebrates Bihu in Delhi - Apr 14, 2010
- Northeast India celebrate "Bihu" to mark new harvest season - Apr 14, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on 'Makar Sankranti', 'Pongal' (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- President greets nation on Onam - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: assam, auspicious occasion, barsh, bengali calendar, bengali new year, better tomorrow, calendar year, countrymen, festivals, greetings, harvest festival, kerala, New Delhi, new year, president pratibha patil, prosperity, south india, tamil calendar, tamil new year, vishu