Hindus want Newsweek’s latest issue showing Obama as Nataraja bannedNovember 24th, 2010 - 3:17 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Nov 24 (ANI): The Malaysia Hindu Sangam, an NGO, has asked the Government to ban the latest issue of Newsweek showing US President Barack Obama as Nataraja (Lord Shiva) with the caption “God of All Things”.
Its Penang branch deputy chairman P. Murugiah said the November issue of the magazine is an insult to Hindus.
“We have received many complaints since the magazine hit news stands last Saturday,” the Star Online quoted him as saying.
Murugiah said sacred Hindu images had too often been portrayed in pop culture without a proper understanding of their spiritual relevance.
“We want the publisher to apologise to Hindus worldwide for their insensitivity in using the image of a highly revered Hindu deity in such an incredulous manner,” he said. (ANI)
- Malaysian Hindus protest Obama's portrayal as Lord Shiva - Nov 24, 2010
- Jews support Hindus on protest against Newsweek's Obama Nataraja cover - Nov 27, 2010
- Hindus upset over Newsweek cover showing Obama as Nataraja - Nov 21, 2010
- Cambodia appeals Hindus for help to safeguard landmark Preah Vihear Shiva temple - Mar 05, 2011
- Perturbed Hindus ask for immediate recall of Shiva and Ganesh puppets - Mar 04, 2010
- Perturbed Hindus ask for immediate recall of inappropriate statues of Hindu deities - Jul 07, 2010
- UNESCO names Special Envoy to damaged Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border - Feb 12, 2011
- Malaysian Hindu temples urged to get registered for aid - Apr 18, 2011
- Malay Hindu association raps music band over CD cover - Jan 13, 2010
- America's top civil rights group backs Hindus upset with NBC over Lord Ganesh mockery - Feb 07, 2011
- 'Kali was always worshipped with liquor' - May 27, 2012
- Malay Indians express outrage over sale of slippers bearing Hindu deity impressions - Feb 12, 2011
- Hindus ask ASEAN to save Shiva temple from further damage in Thai-Cambodia clash - Feb 08, 2011
- Four gopuras of landmark Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border damaged: Hindus concerned - Feb 09, 2011
- California company removes objectionable skateboards with images of Hindu deities - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: barack obama, caption, deputy chairman, god, hindu deity, hindu images, hindus, insensitivity, insult, kuala lumpur, last saturday, lord shiva, malaysia hindu sangam, newsweek, ngo, penang branch, pop culture, relevance