Here are some facts on the river GangaMarch 25th, 2012 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
Here are some facts on the river Ganga
Size of the river: 2,525 sq km
Source: Gaumukh (Gangotri glacier) at 4,100 metres above sea level
Ganga basin: More than one million square km (1,060,000 sq.km)
States it traverses: Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar, West Bengal and Delhi.
Tributaries: Betwa, Chambal, Damodar, Gandak, Ganga, Ghaghra, Gomti, Hindon, Kali, Khan, Kosi, Kshipra, Ramganga, and Yamuna.
Population it supports: 43 percent of the population (448.3 million as per 2001 census).
- Rajnath supports Uma Bharti on Ganga river's cleaning - May 30, 2011
- Yamuna, Chambal rivers in spate - Aug 25, 2012
- Call goes out to save the Ganges Dolphin - Feb 24, 2010
- Spiritual group prepares to clean entire Ganges - Jun 17, 2012
- Australian artist chronicles the Ganga's journey - Jul 16, 2010
- 5 river interlinking projects get priority - Apr 12, 2011
- 135km stretch of Ganga in Uttarakhand gets green shield - Nov 02, 2010
- Ganges river dolphin declared national aquatic animal - Jan 19, 2010
- Crocodile sanctuary in the offing: Jairam Ramesh - Dec 28, 2010
- Seven UP rivers in spate - Aug 08, 2012
- Only 1025 mld capacity sewage treatment available along Ganga River: Centre - Dec 14, 2009
- Protesters demand clean Ganga, Yamuna - Jun 18, 2012
- Ganga activists threaten to re-launch campaign - May 14, 2012
- Adventure tourism in Chambal ravines for Games visitors - Jul 17, 2010
- Seven states seek intra-state linking of 36 rivers - Sep 08, 2010