Heavy rains affect normal life of Delhiites on festive dayAugust 24th, 2010 - 8:41 pm ICT by ANI
By Shreenarayan Jha
New Delhi, Aug. 24 (ANI): Heavy downpour on Tuesday morning affected general life in different parts of the capital.
At various places, water logging added to the woes of people as many of them, especially women, were travelling on the occasion of Raksha Bandhan festival.
The girls or women tie Rakhi, the sacred thread, on their brothers’ wrists on this occasion.
Besides, with many offices remaining open on this day, the officegoers had a tough time reaching their offices, as the vehicles were moving at a snail’s pace.
The traffic scene on Mehrauli-I.I.T road, Lajpat Nagar, Ashram, South-Extention, and other areas of the capital looked out of gear.
Office goers, at many places, were noticed wading through knee-deep water.
“For the past three-four days it is raining continuously in Delhi. There are pits and waterlogging everywhere. There is traffic jam everywhere because of which we are reaching late tot our office. The condition of Delhi is miserable during the rainy season. It is creating a problem in commuting,” said Amar, a local resident at Mehrauli road.
While the river Yamuna continued to flow above the danger mark, posing a threat to people living in low-lying areas. (ANI)
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Life in Kolkata goes haywire after monsoon rains - Jun 28, 2010
- Heavy rains hit Delhi again (Lead) - Sep 16, 2011
- Wet Raksha Bandhan in Delhi, more rains Wednesday (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Heavy downpour in Delhi, chaos on roads - Aug 24, 2010
- India post launches waterproof Rakhi envelopes - Jul 11, 2012
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, bring back traffic woes (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Delhi hit by season's heaviest rains, traffic jams strand commuters - Aug 20, 2010
- Chaos rules Delhi roads as rains continue - Jul 20, 2010
- Rains fail to dampen Rakhi festivities in Delhi - Aug 24, 2010
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Water proof Rakhi envelopes in Lucknow - Jul 14, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, season's wettest day (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: ashram, danger mark, deep water, goers, heavy downpour, heavy rains, jha, lajpat nagar, pits, rainy season, raksha bandhan, river yamuna, sacred thread, snail, south extention, traffic jam, tuesday morning, water logging, waterlogging, woes