Guwahati hosts Christmas cake festivalDecember 22nd, 2010 - 6:02 pm ICT by ANI
By Peter Alex Todd
Guwahati, Dec.22 (ANI): To celebrate the advent of Christmas, a cake festival was organised in Guwahati.
Assamese actresses Nishita Goswami, Gayatri Mahanta and Kashmiri Saikia Baruah inaugurated the festival.
The festival was organised by the cookery and bakery section of the Centre for Alternative Vocation (CAV), a voluntary organisation which works in the north-eastern states and mainly focuses on the development of youth and women, by providing livelihood support and strengthening educational status.
Goswami said the festival is a good platform for women who are interested in baking.
“The special thing about this festival is it does not only display cakes, and it displays various confectionaries as well. What I fell is it’s a huge platform for the ladies who are interested in this particular field, and it’s a good platform for them,” she said.
The flavour and colours of Christmas were everywhere as customers purchased cakes and a man dressed up as Santa Claus delighted children.
“Like the cake is sweet, in the same way people of Assam and whole northeast are sweet, and I would like to give my wishes that peace remains in the whole of Assam and northeast,” said Shidartha Mukharjee, who had donned the Santa Claus costume.
This festival was an exhibition as well as a sale programme where Christmas cakes like plum cake, fruitcake, rum cake and other non-vegetarian cakes were on sale.
The festival is being organised from December 21 to 23.
Christmas will be celebrated across the world on Saturday. (ANI)
- Northeast soaked in yuletide spirit - Dec 21, 2011
- Will pricey cakes eat into Christmas festivities? - Dec 23, 2011
- Christmas celebrated in Kolkata - Dec 25, 2011
- Christmas carols, cakes and gifts, it's merrymaking in Delhi! - Dec 25, 2010
- On Christmas, Delhi feels one - Dec 25, 2011
- India rejoices in Christmas revelry with carols, feasts (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- India celebrates X-mas with carols, joy, feasting (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Indian Christmas with desi fusion fare - Dec 23, 2011
- Special Christmas prayers for peace in northeast - Dec 25, 2011
- 'Arthur Christmas' - Rekindles Christmas spirit (IANS Movie Review) - Jan 14, 2012
- AGP to be strengthened from grassroots, says Mahanta - May 18, 2012
- Northeast India's ancient theatre comes to capital (With Image) - Apr 01, 2011
- Scribes take out peace rally in Assam - Jan 01, 2011
- Wining, dining and a lot more on X-mas (With Images) - Dec 21, 2011
- Joyful Christmas with gifts, prayers in Mumbai - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,