Guava cultivation in mango beltJune 23rd, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by ANI
By Kamna Hajela
Malihabad (UP), May 23 (ANI): Poor production of mango has forced the mango growers in Malihabad region to take up guava cultivation.
Famous as the mango belt of the country, this region of Uttar Pradesh, is witnessing a sea change as more and more mango cultivators have switched over to growing guavas because the production of mango has not been good since last three years.
Considering the high investment that the mango growers have to make for growing mangoes, the losses incurred are too much to bear when the crop is not up to the expectations.
Faced with such a scenario, the mango growers have been forced to switch over to cultivating guavas.
“People are fed up with growing mangoes. So they are planning to cut their orchards and grow guavas, or even wheat, which also gets good money in the market, ” said Vijyendra Kumar, a mango grower.
Guava has caught the fancy of mango growers as it requires less investment, is less prone to diseases, needs less water and requires minimal care.According to estimates, around 25 percent of the mango growers in Malihabad are already in the process of taking up guava cultivation.
“This year, the production of mangoes was less, due to which the fruit growers incurred heavy losses and are now hard pressed for money. Also mango crop is more susceptible to pest attacks, whereas diseases do not infect guavas easily. All these factors are reason enough that mango growers are switching over to cultivating guavas, ” said Gautam Tripathi, another mango grower.
As against mango that gives yield once a year, the growers get better money from cultivating guavas, which yields fruit twice a year. (ANI)
- Cheers for cherry lovers with bountiful Himachal crop - May 27, 2012
- Coca-Cola, Jain Irrigation to showcase modern mango farming in Andhra - Jul 24, 2012
- Potatoes hot property in Lahaul's cold deserts - Oct 25, 2011
- Lower seed potato and tomato yield in Himachal due to rains - Oct 13, 2010
- Fickle weather can take juice out of litchi this season - Apr 29, 2012
- Strong gale damages mango crop in Bijnore - May 08, 2010
- Trials on Himachal crops successful, says institute - Jan 29, 2012
- What's sucking Meghalaya's famed oranges dry - Dec 23, 2011
- Guava production increases in Allahabad - Dec 20, 2010
- 'Japani Phal' harvest picks up, Himachal traders upbeat - Sep 19, 2011
- Snowfall to help apple crop in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 01, 2011
- Hail punctures hopes of Himachal apple growers - May 01, 2012
- Apple growers expect bumper crop in Kullu - Apr 09, 2010
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- Changing climate damages apple crop in Uttarakhand - Jul 13, 2010