Girls lured to Delhi CWG for work being sold to brothelsSeptember 30th, 2010 - 3:25 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept.30 (ANI): Under aged girls are being lured to Delhi for work at the Commonwealth Games, only to be sold to brothels.According to The Australian, the Indian Government has issued an alert, after receiving numerous reports that girls from the country’s poor tribal states are being exploited by sex-traffickers.
The advisory by India’s Home Ministry says: “The victims are mostly those who are promised work in Delhi ahead of the Commonwealth Games by fraudulent placement agencies but instead are likely to be trafficked.”
It adds: “Minor girls are the main target. Strict action is urgently required against those involved in such trafficking, both in the source, transit and destination areas.”
Hundreds of young girls from poverty-stricken rural states have been successfully trafficked into the city’s burgeoning number of brothels, massage parlours and escort agencies.Kailash Pathak, from rural West Bengal, fears his 13-year-old daughter, Khushbu, is among them.
The Australian accompanied Pathak this week as he searched seedy Delhi’s red-light-district for any sign of her.
He said he had tracked down a man he claims stole his daughter and reported him to police.
“I rang him and said, ‘Have you taken my girl?’ And he said, ‘What if I have? What can you do about it?’”
The man, Pappu Bagel, confessed to The Australian from a police cell that he led Khushbu away from her home but denied it had been against her will.
According to the paper, Delhi’s illegal but thriving prostitution racket has been gearing up for several months for the Commonwealth Games. Several establishments have reportedly been running basic English classes for their workers and renovating premises for foreign visitors.
Delhi police have raided a number of brothels in the city’s red-light district in recent weeks.
A police superintendent from one inner-city district said about 80 young girls had been seized from brothels and traffickers in the past six months. (ANI)
- Minors rescued from Delhi brothel - Aug 18, 2012
- Eight girls rescued from Delhi brothels - Apr 28, 2012
- Will Reema Kagti shoot new film in red-light area? - Jan 06, 2011
- US report highlights trafficking in India - Jun 28, 2011
- Leading girls from hell to humane society (With Images) - Mar 29, 2011
- Crusader against trafficking gets 'Man of the Year Award' - May 12, 2012
- Seven girls rescued from red light area - Aug 13, 2010
- Two human traffickers held in Chhattisgarh - Apr 28, 2011
- Man held for trying to sell minor girl in Delhi - Jun 04, 2012
- Kiwi town centres to have red-light zones? - Oct 06, 2010
- Woman charged with sending daughter to work in brothel - Jul 28, 2010
- Ten girls rescued from Delhi brothels - Jun 26, 2012
- Delhi shines, but red light area in darkness (IANS Special) - Jul 05, 2010
- Four minors rescued from Delhi brothel - Mar 01, 2012
- 20,000 Chhattisgarh girls sold: Jogi - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: brothels, commonwealth games, cwg, delhi police, destination areas, home ministry, indian government, khushbu, massage parlours, minor girls, pathak, placement agencies, police cell, police superintendent, red light district, sex traffickers, strict action, target, west bengal, young girls